Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any relief with night splints?

Posted by Jodie on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007336)

I'm now at the orthotic stage and feel some relief, but not much. Have any of you had relief with the use of night splints. Stats show they are not very effective, that you get more relief with casting due to the immobility. What are your experiences?

Re: Any relief with night splints?

Mary Ann on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007338)

Mary Ann on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007339)

I have been trying to use the night solint. Some nights I just can't get to sleep with it on. I did think it might be helping as my heel pain seemed to be some better. but lately it is sore. I have not had the casting done.

Kris on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007355)

I have used night splints for 3 months now.... I dont see much difference at all... I was also in a cast for almost a month... no difference with that either. No 40 visits of Physical Therapy either. I get the most relief from orthotics and iceing and stretching. Good Luck.... Ive had PF for over a year now and I am not much better at all...

Jodie on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007362)

Thanks for the reply. I've also had this for over 1 year. Very frustrating! I had read the results were better with casting...guess not.

Jane on 6/01/99 at 00:00 (007415)

Night splints have been very helpful for me. I would recommend them! However, it does take a while for them to work. You must be patient!

Joanne on 6/01/99 at 00:00 (007419)

I have had PF for 10 years. I have the orthotics. They may have helped one foot, but I have flat-feet and they make both arches hurt as bad as PF. My Dr. insisted I wear night splints. My feet do not hurt at night. The only thing they helped was the excruiating upon putting your foot down the next morning. Within a few minutes and the rest of the day my foot still hurt to shop, stand and even while sitting. The rest and standing on it makes the scar tissue thicker. I had EPF surgery 1 week ago and the Podiatrist said cutting into the PF sounded like biting into celery it was that thick.

Mary Ann on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007338)

Mary Ann on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007339)

I have been trying to use the night solint. Some nights I just can't get to sleep with it on. I did think it might be helping as my heel pain seemed to be some better. but lately it is sore. I have not had the casting done.

Kris on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007355)

I have used night splints for 3 months now.... I dont see much difference at all... I was also in a cast for almost a month... no difference with that either. No 40 visits of Physical Therapy either. I get the most relief from orthotics and iceing and stretching. Good Luck.... Ive had PF for over a year now and I am not much better at all...

Jodie on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007362)

Thanks for the reply. I've also had this for over 1 year. Very frustrating! I had read the results were better with casting...guess not.

Jane on 6/01/99 at 00:00 (007415)

Night splints have been very helpful for me. I would recommend them! However, it does take a while for them to work. You must be patient!

Joanne on 6/01/99 at 00:00 (007419)

I have had PF for 10 years. I have the orthotics. They may have helped one foot, but I have flat-feet and they make both arches hurt as bad as PF. My Dr. insisted I wear night splints. My feet do not hurt at night. The only thing they helped was the excruiating upon putting your foot down the next morning. Within a few minutes and the rest of the day my foot still hurt to shop, stand and even while sitting. The rest and standing on it makes the scar tissue thicker. I had EPF surgery 1 week ago and the Podiatrist said cutting into the PF sounded like biting into celery it was that thick.