Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Time to start moving again

Posted by Andi K on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007389)

Well, I've rested my feet (pf in left foot) for almost 4 months now and I feel the time has come to start exercising again. It's been a beneficial break for my whole body, but the party's over. My foot feels better, but I know that I'm not healed yet. Although I am somewhat of a swimmer, I don't want to swim every day of the week and would like very much to get back on my treadmill to start things off. My plan is to stretch before and after, have ice cups ready at the end of the session and to start slowly. I won't be happy just walking, but will start there. Any suggestions as to HOW SLOW to take this and beneficial stretches for exercising? I know I need to listen to my foot, but I remeber in the past I didn't have much pain during activity. It came on right after and never left! I'm looking at getting back into the swing of things within a few weeks so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Time to start moving again

Roberta on 6/01/99 at 00:00 (007422)

Congrats! I started running again a couple weeks ago. I would recommend taping before you run. I tape around my heel then up around the foot to support the arch. That seems to help a lot - though I frequently lose some skin. Start out really slowly, soft surfaces (but nothing bumpy or unstable!!) Oh, and only go for short period - 10 minutes one day, 15 if that feels okay. My foot feels it's best when I am running, it never hurts. It is always the next that I know if running was a problem or not, so be sure to monitor how you feel the next day. And only run every two or three days. It seems to be working for me. I have been running like I said for a couple weeks and my foot is still getting better.

Oh, and stretch stretch stretch!!!! and never go barefoot.

Re: Time to start moving again

Roberta on 6/01/99 at 00:00 (007422)

Congrats! I started running again a couple weeks ago. I would recommend taping before you run. I tape around my heel then up around the foot to support the arch. That seems to help a lot - though I frequently lose some skin. Start out really slowly, soft surfaces (but nothing bumpy or unstable!!) Oh, and only go for short period - 10 minutes one day, 15 if that feels okay. My foot feels it's best when I am running, it never hurts. It is always the next that I know if running was a problem or not, so be sure to monitor how you feel the next day. And only run every two or three days. It seems to be working for me. I have been running like I said for a couple weeks and my foot is still getting better.

Oh, and stretch stretch stretch!!!! and never go barefoot.