Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery

Posted by Ken on 6/01/99 at 00:00 (007486)

After a year plus of pain I had surgery today. I had the least invasive type of surgery. It is called the percuteanous type. Only 1 small incision on the medial(inside) side of the foot. He partially releases the fascia but only on that side so you don't get the pain that some get on the other side of the foot (column pain). He also clipped off , then filed down the spur. Only 3 stitches needed, they come out in 2 days.No pain yet but have had my feet up all day. No pain killers yet but might take 1 before bed to sleep.Took the advice here and have been taking 10,000 mg. a day of Vit C to help healing.
I didn't rush in to this: have had shots, orthotics, pt, casting. ice and stretching etc. and nothing seemed to help. I am a letter carrier
(26) years and have not been able to work for about 5 months.This was my last hope before I hang up my satchel and go inside which I dread. Will keep you posted, good luck to all. Ken

Re: surgery

Gavin Stokes on 2/24/98 at 17:59 (000298)

In Reply to: surgery posted by Judy Drake on October 30, 1997 at 17:14:39:

Bea on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007492)

It seems you took the right precautions and dealt with this in a very intelligent manner. Good luck. I hope it works out. Please keep us informed.

CrabbyAss2 on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007521)

Ken, best of Luck! I sure hope your surgery will be an end to your pain. Keep us posted. Marie

Lori on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007593)

Glad to hear your surgery went well, Ken. I had surgery on the 24th.
It involved a larger incision which will have stitches removed on the 8th. I, too, went through 10 years of pain, exercises, orthodics, shots, oral meds, ultrasound...nothing helped. I'm a teacher and have to be on my feet all day. I've had no pain though I took a pain pill the first eve, afraid I might have pain. I have to be off of my feet for 3 weeks total. I'm hoping for a relief from the 10 years of pain. I have a bone spur on my right foot, as well, but it doesn't hurt right now. My positive thoughts are with you!
Lori in AZ

jerel on 6/14/99 at 00:00 (007802)

My wife had the plantars surgery 6 weeks ago.Her heel does not hurt anymore although she has to stay offof it due to a very sore spot tha has developed about 1 inch behind the small toe.She goes back to the doctor tomorrow and should get her insoles at that time.Her doctor recommends new balence 605.She is due to go back to work now but their is know way.

Bea on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007492)

It seems you took the right precautions and dealt with this in a very intelligent manner. Good luck. I hope it works out. Please keep us informed.

CrabbyAss2 on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007521)

Ken, best of Luck! I sure hope your surgery will be an end to your pain. Keep us posted. Marie

Lori on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007593)

Glad to hear your surgery went well, Ken. I had surgery on the 24th.
It involved a larger incision which will have stitches removed on the 8th. I, too, went through 10 years of pain, exercises, orthodics, shots, oral meds, ultrasound...nothing helped. I'm a teacher and have to be on my feet all day. I've had no pain though I took a pain pill the first eve, afraid I might have pain. I have to be off of my feet for 3 weeks total. I'm hoping for a relief from the 10 years of pain. I have a bone spur on my right foot, as well, but it doesn't hurt right now. My positive thoughts are with you!
Lori in AZ

jerel on 6/14/99 at 00:00 (007802)

My wife had the plantars surgery 6 weeks ago.Her heel does not hurt anymore although she has to stay offof it due to a very sore spot tha has developed about 1 inch behind the small toe.She goes back to the doctor tomorrow and should get her insoles at that time.Her doctor recommends new balence 605.She is due to go back to work now but their is know way.