Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Deep Itch in Heel

Posted by Dancer on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007502)

I have been diagnosed with plantar fascitis for about 2 months or so. I have had constant pain in my left heel (and a heel spur), although the pain in the heel is getting better in general. For those 2 months, I worked full time, sitting at my desk mostly while working at the computer, and my foot would hurt when I stood up, even after only 1/2 hr or 45 min or so of sitting.

For the last 4 days, I have been home (long weekend, plus I just retired - yeah !!!). The combination of being able to move around whenever I want (e.g., lay down and raise the foot, or just move) for the past 4 days seems to have helped my heel tremendously. Yesterday evening, for the first time since my heel has hurt, I began to feel a deep itch, as if the tendon was healing. Mind you, there is still some pain, but not as severe.

Has anyone else had this symptom when the foot was getting better? Is this a symptom that the acute painful phase is going away? In any case, I'm getting fitted with orthotics Thurs, I know this is probably a chronic condition I have to watch the rest of my life.

Re: Deep Itch in Heel

Barb Lundeen on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007510)

Could be a sign of healing - I've had this condition for so darn many years but it does go away for periods of time and yes, I get that same itching sensation when I'm on the way to a pain-free period. I usually am ok until I somehow abuse the feet again (walking trips to neat places like Marineland or the zoo etc.) If I wear REALLY good walking shoes it's not as bad but if I go in flat shoes without any support I really pay - Yes, I think it's totally chronic and will always be lurking waiting for you to do something you know you shouldn't. Hope your heels heal up for a long period but do be careful - forever more!!!!!

Re: Deep Itch in Heel

Barb Lundeen on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007510)

Could be a sign of healing - I've had this condition for so darn many years but it does go away for periods of time and yes, I get that same itching sensation when I'm on the way to a pain-free period. I usually am ok until I somehow abuse the feet again (walking trips to neat places like Marineland or the zoo etc.) If I wear REALLY good walking shoes it's not as bad but if I go in flat shoes without any support I really pay - Yes, I think it's totally chronic and will always be lurking waiting for you to do something you know you shouldn't. Hope your heels heal up for a long period but do be careful - forever more!!!!!