Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Another Theory?

Posted by John C. on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007586)

Scott, I have had some ideas about my own case. My case might be unique, but maybe not too unique. I am right handed and left legged. I'm 56 years old and have had several injuries to my feet and ankles. All of these injuries were to the left foot including my PF. I happen to know exactly what caused my PF in April 1998. It was by doing a jump from a downed tree (about 6 feet). I landed on flat ground, compressed to a full squat and injured the plantar in my left heel. Trying to run shortly after just made the injury much worse.

Why did the left heel get injured and not the right? I have always thought the answer was that my left foot and leg are larger and stronger. In a situation involving using my leg strength, I will instinctively always depend more on the left leg than the right. Many people never realize that there is a difference between thier two legs. I have known this for a long time, every since I started snow skiing. In skiing, when you are making a turn, you should have about 90% of your weight on your outside leg. This can show you which leg is stronger. I found out early on that I could turn much better to the right (which primarily uses the left leg) than to the left.

If I automatically use the greater strength in my left leg, will that mean that the left foot has a greater chance of injury to the plantar? In my case, I'm fairly sure that this caused me to injure my left foot only.

What do you think? Could the stronger muscled leg cause increased chance of injury to the plantar?

John C.

maureen on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007601)

I'm also right handed and left-footed. Glad to know there is someone else out whose body is as confused as mine. Of course, the PF is much worse in my left foot.

maureen on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007601)

I'm also right handed and left-footed. Glad to know there is someone else out whose body is as confused as mine. Of course, the PF is much worse in my left foot.