Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any shoes that help the pain?

Posted by patt on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007599)

Are there any special shoes that will help give relief to the pain?

Re: Any shoes that help the pain?

Michelle on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007600)

I have a pair of Dr. Martin sandels that I love. I look forward to summer just so I can wear them. They cost about $100, but are so worth it. A lot of people have Birkenstocks, which cost about the same, however, I have not tried them. Hopefully you can find something that works for you. Good Luck :)

maureen on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007605)

I wear Mephisto shoes and sandles for working, Birks whenever I can, and New Balance shoes for walking.

Sue C on 6/04/99 at 00:00 (007615)

I went to Europe last week and bought five pairs of shoes. They make all the good shoes. I have not had any success with Birkenstock sandals. I wear New Balance 586 running shoes. I bought three pairs of Wolkys. They are a high end walking shoe made in the Netherlands. Two pairs were sandals and one were clogs. I also bought a pair of Mephisto open toe low heel clog. To date they undoubtedly are the most comfortable of all. Wolkys are available in the US as well. I also bought a pair of Clark Springers. I also have a pair of Mephisto Rush walking shoes, but I wish the heel was a little higher. I've had PF for 6 months and nothing has really helped. The NB are OK, the Birks a bust, custom orthotics a disaster, so I decided while in Europe go for it..

Lee on 6/04/99 at 00:00 (007616)

I would recommend Mephistos. After reading about Mephistos on this message board, I tried on a pair out of curiosity. I really had no intention of spending that much money on a pair of shoes, but they felt so wonderful I couldn't leave the store without them. Now I have two pairs and love them both. The Ines style is a casual sandle and the Nonny is a little dressier shoe, which is nice to wear to work. I think they are well worth the money!

Nelson's Shoe on 6/04/99 at 00:00 (007624)

I've been a registered orthopedic shoe repairman for 42 years, and have suffered from heel spurs myself.

In the vast majority of cases I have seen in my business, the typical problem is misfit shoes. In these cases, having the person's foot properly measured and fit may eliminate the pain. In some cases, a small met pad properly placed just behind the ball of the foot and tapered and extending to the heel will eliminate the pain.

We currently have 2 - 3 customers per day with the problems, most of whom have run the course of medical resources, physical therapy, complete foot rest, and the use of expensive inlays of various materials.

We have found that over 90% can be without pain within 2 days. Our store does not sell via mail order - customers must visit the store to be properly fit for any assistance.

Roberta on 6/06/99 at 00:00 (007643)

Clogs. I only wear clogs. But then I am a pretty fashion forward gal.

cheryl on 6/10/99 at 00:00 (007700)

I wear very high heels and with my high arch this helps.
The heel is at least 3 inches higher then the ball of the foot.
I also slip my custom orthotics in my running shoes and
I am able to run my 30 miles a week.

Michelle on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007600)

I have a pair of Dr. Martin sandels that I love. I look forward to summer just so I can wear them. They cost about $100, but are so worth it. A lot of people have Birkenstocks, which cost about the same, however, I have not tried them. Hopefully you can find something that works for you. Good Luck :)

maureen on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007605)

I wear Mephisto shoes and sandles for working, Birks whenever I can, and New Balance shoes for walking.

Sue C on 6/04/99 at 00:00 (007615)

I went to Europe last week and bought five pairs of shoes. They make all the good shoes. I have not had any success with Birkenstock sandals. I wear New Balance 586 running shoes. I bought three pairs of Wolkys. They are a high end walking shoe made in the Netherlands. Two pairs were sandals and one were clogs. I also bought a pair of Mephisto open toe low heel clog. To date they undoubtedly are the most comfortable of all. Wolkys are available in the US as well. I also bought a pair of Clark Springers. I also have a pair of Mephisto Rush walking shoes, but I wish the heel was a little higher. I've had PF for 6 months and nothing has really helped. The NB are OK, the Birks a bust, custom orthotics a disaster, so I decided while in Europe go for it..

Lee on 6/04/99 at 00:00 (007616)

I would recommend Mephistos. After reading about Mephistos on this message board, I tried on a pair out of curiosity. I really had no intention of spending that much money on a pair of shoes, but they felt so wonderful I couldn't leave the store without them. Now I have two pairs and love them both. The Ines style is a casual sandle and the Nonny is a little dressier shoe, which is nice to wear to work. I think they are well worth the money!

Nelson's Shoe on 6/04/99 at 00:00 (007624)

I've been a registered orthopedic shoe repairman for 42 years, and have suffered from heel spurs myself.

In the vast majority of cases I have seen in my business, the typical problem is misfit shoes. In these cases, having the person's foot properly measured and fit may eliminate the pain. In some cases, a small met pad properly placed just behind the ball of the foot and tapered and extending to the heel will eliminate the pain.

We currently have 2 - 3 customers per day with the problems, most of whom have run the course of medical resources, physical therapy, complete foot rest, and the use of expensive inlays of various materials.

We have found that over 90% can be without pain within 2 days. Our store does not sell via mail order - customers must visit the store to be properly fit for any assistance.

Roberta on 6/06/99 at 00:00 (007643)

Clogs. I only wear clogs. But then I am a pretty fashion forward gal.

cheryl on 6/10/99 at 00:00 (007700)

I wear very high heels and with my high arch this helps.
The heel is at least 3 inches higher then the ball of the foot.
I also slip my custom orthotics in my running shoes and
I am able to run my 30 miles a week.