Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Monte on 6/06/99 at 00:00 (007648)

Hi.Does anyone know if magnet therapy helps treat tired aching feet for someone who stands on their feet for 12 hours a day.The podiatrist i saw said that I do not have heel spurs but i can tell you that after my tenth hour of standing my feet are on fire and really hurt.I have noticed that they sell flat insoles that are like large Refrigerator magnets that you can cut to size for your shoe.Does this work.can someone inform me if these work or not and if so should they be put in the shoe alone or under a cushioned pad. i need help.Thanks. If possible please e-mail me at my address for e-mail.Thanks

Re: heel pain

chris on 2/24/99 at 00:00 (005059)

I think it is Feldene. I started taking it about 2 weeks ago. I'm a little better. Don't know whether it is due to my stretching more or staying off it. This is the third one I have been on.

Maggie on 2/25/99 at 00:00 (005068)

Hi Lindy--

I'm also in my fifties and a little overweight, but I know many people who suffer from this malady who are thin. So do try to lose weight, but there are other things you can do. I've had this condition since last July and I would say I am almost better. I can do all normal activities (shopping, walking across a parking lot) and have even started 30 minutes three times a week on a treadmill, with no adverse effects. Have you tried the Shaklee calcium-magnesium supplement? After taking it for a week I felt tremendous relief. I've been taking 12 tablets a day for three months and am now cutting back to nine a day. It really helped me. Also, stretch your foot whenever you think of it. Especially in the morning before you get out of bed. Put your foot up against the headboard or wall and keep it there for ten minutes. You won't feel the pain when you get up. Have you tried 'Romika' shoes? They are my favorites, and some are cute styles. They seem to have just the right arch and the right pitch of the heel to feel comfortable and still get my weight off my heel. I also have Dansko clogs and Mephisto sandals (but with an elevated pitch--about 1 1/4 inches higher in the back of the shoe than the front. Good luck!

BJ on 2/26/99 at 00:00 (005079)

Where did you purchase the Shaklee calicum-mag. supplement?

Bea on 6/06/99 at 00:00 (007651)

I have tried the insoles and found them no use at all. However I have used magnets on my achilles heel and they helped some with the pain.I have used thick foam heel inserts & found some relief. You just have to try different things and hope.

WANDA on 6/07/99 at 00:00 (007655)

Hello Monte I've had magnets in my shoes they were the bipolar ones made by Nikken . If you investe in some mine costs $77 (like to fainted)!!! I was told by alot of folks not to buy the kind you are talking about. They felt kind of cool or some strange feeling when I frist wore them I thought they worked for about a month and now they don't for some reason, although I do put one on my lower back and it does work ,be careful investing in these magnets for alot of these people are in this sort of like amaway ,theses things are very costly.But when you are in pain you reach for anything. God Bless

Judy on 6/07/99 at 00:00 (007658)

I have used the Nikkon type. At first seemed to help the pain, but recently, it has been so hot I have been wearing them under my insole. My poditrist recommemded that I use them under the insole, she sells them (I guess she figures whatever makes you feel better...)

Good luck with them.

Lee on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007728)

Tried magnets, they didn't help at all. My advice, if the first Dr. doesn't help your feet, move on to another Dr. By the time I got to my 3rd podiatrist, I was practically crawling. The 3rd Dr. made a huge difference by making orthodics for me. Be sure the Dr. that makes the orthodic guarantees them. They have to cast your feet the right way or the orthodic will make your feet even worse. My first pair, 2nd podiatrist cost $600.00 and I ended up throwing them away. My second pair, 3rd podiatrist cost $300.00 and I can't live without them, they helped alot.

Lee on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007729)

Ask about the anti-inflamm. cream. It really helped too.!

debbie on 1/17/99 at 00:00 (003549)

If you read my messages you would see that I had surgery. A pf release and removal of heel spur. On one foot. I backed out of surgery on my other foot. My surgery foot still hurts at times. I went and had acupuncture treatments and would recommend that to anyone. I had treatments on both feet and am like a new person. Look into it. Debbie

chris on 2/24/99 at 00:00 (005059)

I think it is Feldene. I started taking it about 2 weeks ago. I'm a little better. Don't know whether it is due to my stretching more or staying off it. This is the third one I have been on.

Maggie on 2/25/99 at 00:00 (005068)

Hi Lindy--

I'm also in my fifties and a little overweight, but I know many people who suffer from this malady who are thin. So do try to lose weight, but there are other things you can do. I've had this condition since last July and I would say I am almost better. I can do all normal activities (shopping, walking across a parking lot) and have even started 30 minutes three times a week on a treadmill, with no adverse effects. Have you tried the Shaklee calcium-magnesium supplement? After taking it for a week I felt tremendous relief. I've been taking 12 tablets a day for three months and am now cutting back to nine a day. It really helped me. Also, stretch your foot whenever you think of it. Especially in the morning before you get out of bed. Put your foot up against the headboard or wall and keep it there for ten minutes. You won't feel the pain when you get up. Have you tried 'Romika' shoes? They are my favorites, and some are cute styles. They seem to have just the right arch and the right pitch of the heel to feel comfortable and still get my weight off my heel. I also have Dansko clogs and Mephisto sandals (but with an elevated pitch--about 1 1/4 inches higher in the back of the shoe than the front. Good luck!

BJ on 2/26/99 at 00:00 (005079)

Where did you purchase the Shaklee calicum-mag. supplement?

Bea on 6/06/99 at 00:00 (007651)

I have tried the insoles and found them no use at all. However I have used magnets on my achilles heel and they helped some with the pain.I have used thick foam heel inserts & found some relief. You just have to try different things and hope.

WANDA on 6/07/99 at 00:00 (007655)

Hello Monte I've had magnets in my shoes they were the bipolar ones made by Nikken . If you investe in some mine costs $77 (like to fainted)!!! I was told by alot of folks not to buy the kind you are talking about. They felt kind of cool or some strange feeling when I frist wore them I thought they worked for about a month and now they don't for some reason, although I do put one on my lower back and it does work ,be careful investing in these magnets for alot of these people are in this sort of like amaway ,theses things are very costly.But when you are in pain you reach for anything. God Bless

Judy on 6/07/99 at 00:00 (007658)

I have used the Nikkon type. At first seemed to help the pain, but recently, it has been so hot I have been wearing them under my insole. My poditrist recommemded that I use them under the insole, she sells them (I guess she figures whatever makes you feel better...)

Good luck with them.

Lee on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007728)

Tried magnets, they didn't help at all. My advice, if the first Dr. doesn't help your feet, move on to another Dr. By the time I got to my 3rd podiatrist, I was practically crawling. The 3rd Dr. made a huge difference by making orthodics for me. Be sure the Dr. that makes the orthodic guarantees them. They have to cast your feet the right way or the orthodic will make your feet even worse. My first pair, 2nd podiatrist cost $600.00 and I ended up throwing them away. My second pair, 3rd podiatrist cost $300.00 and I can't live without them, they helped alot.

Lee on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007729)

Ask about the anti-inflamm. cream. It really helped too.!