Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Get an automatic

Posted by rosalind on 6/08/99 at 00:00 (007662)

I am a recovering plantar fasciitic. For the past 8 months, I have been driving an automatic car. Today I had to drive a stick shift, which used to be my preferred method anyway. It was fun to feel the old zippyness of a stick shift, but after a while I could feel the re-injury occurring every time my foot hit the clutch. Not wanting to let go (yet again) of the progress I had made, but knowing there was no way out of the situation but to keep driving, I started to do everything I could to avoid shifting, which made for some erratic driving to say the least. If a cop had stopped me, I guess I would have had to plead temporary insanity. Next time I'll call 911. Here's hoping you all can find an automatic.

Re: Get an automatic

Andi K on 6/08/99 at 00:00 (007663)

I have been driving a 5-speed for 12 years now. I, too feel that it isn't the best thing for my pf. My foot seems to be recovering now as I am staying off of it as much as I can, however when my pf was really bad, it was torture pushing in the clutch. I guess this would only affect us with pf in the left foot! (That's a lot of us, right Scott?!) My next car will be an automatic for just this reason!

Robin on 6/08/99 at 00:00 (007666)

Compliments on your phraseology. I am convinced that plantar fasciitis definitely leads to insanity -- temporary or otherwise.

If someone had ever told me I would end up being so 120% focused on my feet, as I am, I would have thought him or her crazy. But as it happens -- I think it's me that's crazy.

What I'd really like right about now is a week -- just one simple stinking week without pain and without having to always and every minute think about and treat my feet. As in 'normal life.'

WANDA on 6/08/99 at 00:00 (007668)

My husband says i am addicted to this webb site and I guess I am !!!!! Everytime I get on here I hope today will be the day to find the answer to get rid of the pain. I just got off my cast on right leg and it feel about 25% better although I can stil feel the pain in the edge of my heel, but its nothing compared to the left one it is out of control. I got my Dr to put me on Zolof today and cried about that,I feel though it will help me in the long run. I guess we have all got to stick together and care about each other,because the outside world won't and can't. Good luck

Andi K on 6/08/99 at 00:00 (007663)

I have been driving a 5-speed for 12 years now. I, too feel that it isn't the best thing for my pf. My foot seems to be recovering now as I am staying off of it as much as I can, however when my pf was really bad, it was torture pushing in the clutch. I guess this would only affect us with pf in the left foot! (That's a lot of us, right Scott?!) My next car will be an automatic for just this reason!

Robin on 6/08/99 at 00:00 (007666)

Compliments on your phraseology. I am convinced that plantar fasciitis definitely leads to insanity -- temporary or otherwise.

If someone had ever told me I would end up being so 120% focused on my feet, as I am, I would have thought him or her crazy. But as it happens -- I think it's me that's crazy.

What I'd really like right about now is a week -- just one simple stinking week without pain and without having to always and every minute think about and treat my feet. As in 'normal life.'

WANDA on 6/08/99 at 00:00 (007668)

My husband says i am addicted to this webb site and I guess I am !!!!! Everytime I get on here I hope today will be the day to find the answer to get rid of the pain. I just got off my cast on right leg and it feel about 25% better although I can stil feel the pain in the edge of my heel, but its nothing compared to the left one it is out of control. I got my Dr to put me on Zolof today and cried about that,I feel though it will help me in the long run. I guess we have all got to stick together and care about each other,because the outside world won't and can't. Good luck