Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Have given up sugar, seems to ease the PF Pain

Posted by Leslie on 6/10/99 at 00:00 (007701)

Has anyone changed their diet and had any improvement in PF, or heel spur pain. Have recently gone on Dr. Atkins Diet, with no carbs and my heel pain got much better. When I went off the diet the pain came back. Have done some reading on how sugar stops the body from healing itself. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Re: Have given up sugar, seems to ease the PF Pain

cpb on 6/11/99 at 00:00 (007714)

how long did yoy suffer with pf

Lee on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007730)

I've been on the diet before. I lost weight so fast, I don't know if it helped my foot because I lost weight or because of no sugar. It's a hard diet to stay on long term. I always gain the weight back.
I'm going to try no sugar but still have other carbs and see if that doesn't help my foot. Thanks for the idea of no sugar, I'm desperate for a cure. I have pf in my right foot.

Leslie on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007739)

Have had PF for 10 months now, have tried icing, stretching, physiotherapists (ultrasound), night splint, Glucosamine Sulphate (this also seems to help), orthotics (this made the PF worse, put all the weight back on my heel and aggrevated the heel spur. This diet seems to be helping, everytime I go off it, foot seems to hurt the next day. Going to see a sports orthopedic doctor next.

Leslie on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007740)

Hard to stay on the strict diet, but can add back other foods that don't have sugar, I also try to stay away from white flour (processed carbs). The PF seems to come back when I don't follow this diet. I know this makes absolutely no sense but.....

Jackie on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007745)

This monster keeps getting better, and better!!!!First the pain, then the idea that you can't ever go barefoot again and now it's taking away my sugar!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!What next my first born!!!!!

Carol E. on 6/13/99 at 00:00 (007769)

I also have been on a low-carb diet and have given up all sugar and white flour products and my PF is CONSIDERABLY better! (I just came back from 4 days at girl's camp and my foot hardly bothered me at all---now the hips---that is another story!) At first I thought that it was feeling better because I have been doing the stretching, icing, massaging, and using arch supports but then someone brought up the possibility that diet may be affecting PF and then I realized that I had started making these dietary changes at about the same time I started the stretching. I really don't know which it is that is doing the trick but YES, it has been much better since I have been on this diet!

cpb on 6/11/99 at 00:00 (007714)

how long did yoy suffer with pf

Lee on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007730)

I've been on the diet before. I lost weight so fast, I don't know if it helped my foot because I lost weight or because of no sugar. It's a hard diet to stay on long term. I always gain the weight back.
I'm going to try no sugar but still have other carbs and see if that doesn't help my foot. Thanks for the idea of no sugar, I'm desperate for a cure. I have pf in my right foot.

Leslie on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007739)

Have had PF for 10 months now, have tried icing, stretching, physiotherapists (ultrasound), night splint, Glucosamine Sulphate (this also seems to help), orthotics (this made the PF worse, put all the weight back on my heel and aggrevated the heel spur. This diet seems to be helping, everytime I go off it, foot seems to hurt the next day. Going to see a sports orthopedic doctor next.

Leslie on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007740)

Hard to stay on the strict diet, but can add back other foods that don't have sugar, I also try to stay away from white flour (processed carbs). The PF seems to come back when I don't follow this diet. I know this makes absolutely no sense but.....

Jackie on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007745)

This monster keeps getting better, and better!!!!First the pain, then the idea that you can't ever go barefoot again and now it's taking away my sugar!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!What next my first born!!!!!

Carol E. on 6/13/99 at 00:00 (007769)

I also have been on a low-carb diet and have given up all sugar and white flour products and my PF is CONSIDERABLY better! (I just came back from 4 days at girl's camp and my foot hardly bothered me at all---now the hips---that is another story!) At first I thought that it was feeling better because I have been doing the stretching, icing, massaging, and using arch supports but then someone brought up the possibility that diet may be affecting PF and then I realized that I had started making these dietary changes at about the same time I started the stretching. I really don't know which it is that is doing the trick but YES, it has been much better since I have been on this diet!