Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Suffering Like A Dog..Part 2

Posted by Laurie on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007735)

Much thanks for responding Dana & Alicia...
My problem, they believe is not mechanical, but chemical...not enough serotonin, but I just dont know...They say wear or dont wear the orthotics I have, but I swear when I take them out it hurts more! I guess I just have to listen to my own body! It just gets scary sometimes when the pain is REALLY bad...you wonder whats wrong and will it ever go away..I do stretch on stairs lowering one heel then the other, but they tell me I couldnt possible stretch out all the tightness...Do you guys suffer with the leg cramps? Please tell me your symptoms...I just need to know I am not crazy...:)

Re: Suffering Like A Dog..Part 2

Scott on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007742)

I have not read that serotonin pills like prozac, zoloft, paxil, effexor, etc help reduce pain, other than by reducing depression.

Alicia on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007748)

Laurie: I do not get leg cramps, but my calves and hamstrings are very tight. I am very careful with my stretches and do them several times a day. YOU ARE NOT CRAZY. Our bodies can do some crazy things, but it doesn't mean we are crazy. If your problem is chemical, have your doctors talked about any way to correct the chemical imbalance? If you read this board, you will find that we have to keep trying things until we find what works for us. If you can swing it, try to hook up with a physical therapist and see what he/she can do for you. It can't hurt.

Dana on 6/14/99 at 00:00 (007796)

I take Paxil for my PMS for a couple of years and I still get leg cramps. I think I might question the lact of serotonin as the problem.

Scott on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007742)

I have not read that serotonin pills like prozac, zoloft, paxil, effexor, etc help reduce pain, other than by reducing depression.

Alicia on 6/12/99 at 00:00 (007748)

Laurie: I do not get leg cramps, but my calves and hamstrings are very tight. I am very careful with my stretches and do them several times a day. YOU ARE NOT CRAZY. Our bodies can do some crazy things, but it doesn't mean we are crazy. If your problem is chemical, have your doctors talked about any way to correct the chemical imbalance? If you read this board, you will find that we have to keep trying things until we find what works for us. If you can swing it, try to hook up with a physical therapist and see what he/she can do for you. It can't hurt.

Dana on 6/14/99 at 00:00 (007796)

I take Paxil for my PMS for a couple of years and I still get leg cramps. I think I might question the lact of serotonin as the problem.