Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do we all stand for work?

Posted by Lee on 6/13/99 at 00:00 (007763)

I'm a hairstylist. Did work 10-12 hours a day. I've cut back to 7-9 hours but it hasn't relieved the pain. Dr. told me groc. clerks, postal employees, bank tellers, teachers, all who stand in one place have the worst pf. I have no choice but to stand in one place all day, even with thick pad under my chair, it's murder on my feet.
So is this true, how many of you stand in one place all day?

Re: Do we all stand for work?

LJ on 6/13/99 at 00:00 (007764)

Teacher/Counselor - standing, running after deviants all day.. pounding the pavement..

I've decided that nothing will ever cure this or solve this unless i keep off my feet for an extended time. I've taken 2 weeks off work here and there to give my feet a needed respite, only to have them feel a bit better, I go back to work one day and screw up 2 weeks of healing.

My heart goes out to you, because in your line of work, I don't see any alternative. I do know that I could not have done your job for much longer than 1 hour, if even that, with this condition. I do admire your stamina.

Best of healing voodoo to you. Keep your spirit up. Tis good reading your messages and thoughts.

Kris on 6/16/99 at 00:00 (007857)

I am am airline ticket agent for 18 years. I stand all day on my feet at work, then come home to stand in the kitchen, running around with kids, and errands, etc.
I have been unable to work for the last 3 months and I am no better at all! I have tried P.T. orthtics, casting, ankle brace, night splints, cortisone, stretching, iceing, taping, you name it except surgery. My Dr. has taken me off work 6 more months hoping it will heal. I am so frustrated being in pain.

jennifer on 6/17/99 at 00:00 (007895)

I don't anymore. I am a SAHM now. But I worked in a grocery store and appliance store for 10 yrs. I have a hard time getting up to chase my toddler. Whew is he fast.

LJ on 6/13/99 at 00:00 (007764)

Teacher/Counselor - standing, running after deviants all day.. pounding the pavement..

I've decided that nothing will ever cure this or solve this unless i keep off my feet for an extended time. I've taken 2 weeks off work here and there to give my feet a needed respite, only to have them feel a bit better, I go back to work one day and screw up 2 weeks of healing.

My heart goes out to you, because in your line of work, I don't see any alternative. I do know that I could not have done your job for much longer than 1 hour, if even that, with this condition. I do admire your stamina.

Best of healing voodoo to you. Keep your spirit up. Tis good reading your messages and thoughts.

Kris on 6/16/99 at 00:00 (007857)

I am am airline ticket agent for 18 years. I stand all day on my feet at work, then come home to stand in the kitchen, running around with kids, and errands, etc.
I have been unable to work for the last 3 months and I am no better at all! I have tried P.T. orthtics, casting, ankle brace, night splints, cortisone, stretching, iceing, taping, you name it except surgery. My Dr. has taken me off work 6 more months hoping it will heal. I am so frustrated being in pain.

jennifer on 6/17/99 at 00:00 (007895)

I don't anymore. I am a SAHM now. But I worked in a grocery store and appliance store for 10 yrs. I have a hard time getting up to chase my toddler. Whew is he fast.