Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Success with real shoes

Posted by Angie on 6/14/99 at 00:00 (007793)

I am amazed. A week ago I went to a reputable shoe store and told my sad PF story and asked for shoes that would fit -- and hopefully help. The salesman has suffered PF so he knew what I was talking about. He mentioned several times to keep stretching. Anyway, he fit me in a pair of New Balance 840's. They have a SL2 fit (ha, ha -- that's the same model as my Saturn!) -- they have a wider toe box and a narrower heel than what you would get with a wide shoe. I had them fit with my Birkinstock blue inserts in them. I usually wear a 9M but these are 10N and I have worn them continuously since last Tuesday morning. Well, I put my Birk sandals on late in the evenings. I have had almost no foot pain except at night they throb some when I finally get off them and go to bed and they hurt some in the mornings until I'm up a bit. I find this most amazing because I was working a children's face painting booth at an art festival this weekend and was on my feet for most of the 10 hours each of the 3 days!

Just wanted to share this ray of sunshine with you all to let you know there is hope. I hadn't felt any for a while. I haven't read the board for a couple weeks (except for the headings) but have found that cutting back on sugar and carbs seemed to help too -- and also that no matter what I do, if it's the pre-mentstrual time -- they hurt more.

Best wishes everyone as you continue your search for things that relieve the pain. I'm enjoying the pain free time while it lasts!

Re: Success with real shoes

Helene on 6/16/99 at 00:00 (007863)

It always seemed to me that my PF worsened at pre-menstrual time. I thought it was my imagination. You are the first one who has mentioned this, as far as I can remember. Maybe I'm not crazy after all! Anyone else notice this?

Re: Success with real shoes

Helene on 6/16/99 at 00:00 (007863)

It always seemed to me that my PF worsened at pre-menstrual time. I thought it was my imagination. You are the first one who has mentioned this, as far as I can remember. Maybe I'm not crazy after all! Anyone else notice this?