Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First cortizone shot

Posted by Debbie on 6/17/99 at 00:00 (007889)

I was just diagnosed with a heel spur in my left heel. My Dr. gave me a cortizone shot and stretching exercises. He said to ice it and to come back in 10 days for another shot and to get a fitting for orthotics. My heel hurts worse since I got the shot. Is this normal? How long does it last and will it help?

Re: First cortizone shot

Lee on 6/17/99 at 00:00 (007898)

My first shot gave me instant relief, no pain after at all
My second shot hurt for about a week after, but a different kind of pain than the spur pain.
My third shot gave me instant relief.
Unfortunately, the pain came back every time.
And I can't stand the pain of the shot anymore. It's just masking the problem for me, anyway. I needed a cure. I have talked to people who had one shot and never had pain again. Lucky them.

Amanda on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007966)

My first cortizone shot gave me some relief (besides it hurting so bad when I got it that I couldn't walk on it for 2 days); however, it was masking the pain of my torn muscle! The cortizone actually weakened my muscle and with my weight, I tore it. I was one a crutch and in a boot for 3 months! No more shots for me.

Lee on 6/17/99 at 00:00 (007898)

My first shot gave me instant relief, no pain after at all
My second shot hurt for about a week after, but a different kind of pain than the spur pain.
My third shot gave me instant relief.
Unfortunately, the pain came back every time.
And I can't stand the pain of the shot anymore. It's just masking the problem for me, anyway. I needed a cure. I have talked to people who had one shot and never had pain again. Lucky them.

Amanda on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007966)

My first cortizone shot gave me some relief (besides it hurting so bad when I got it that I couldn't walk on it for 2 days); however, it was masking the pain of my torn muscle! The cortizone actually weakened my muscle and with my weight, I tore it. I was one a crutch and in a boot for 3 months! No more shots for me.