Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stress?????

Posted by Barb Lundeen on 6/18/99 at 00:00 (007906)

Hey guys - try this one on for size - I was doing wonderfully - even taking short walks again with no pain - two weekends ago I had some people arrive at my house very very late at night with a new baby and 11 kittens. The next day my INVITED houseguest arrived - I don't want to go into the whole story because I get really het up everytime I start on it - just enough to say that the the kittens owners stayed for 4 days until I finally had enough - invited guest stayed until last weekend and I have spent the worst pf week I've had in a long time - Anger????? - stress????? My routine was TOTALLY disrupted - did I reinjure because I maybe wasn't doing enough stretching etc????
I kind of think that stress can cause a lot of mess ups in the body - boy! was I stressed!!!

Re: Stress?????

Scott on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007924)

Mental and physical stress depletes the body's stores of vitamin C which makes us more susceptable to pain. That's the only theory I have on how stress can increase risk of pain, cancer, and depression (low vit C levela increases depression - besides the direct effect of stress making us unhappy).

Rosalind on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007927)

Stress causes muscles to tighten and tight leg muscles will tighten up the fascia. In stressful situations, occasionally I have even felt jabbing pains in my foot. Stress causes a host of other effects that interferes with healing.

Among the alternative methods that I have tried that helped are QiGong and a stress reduction class. My 'barometer' foot has convinced me that Qi or Chi is pretty amazing stuff. It's the basic principle of acupuncture, which helped with my tarsal tunnel, but was very slow with the pf. I was glad to find out I could get good results myself through deep breathing and chi exercises.

There are lots of other things I am doing using this inspirational message board. Good luck!

Scott on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007924)

Mental and physical stress depletes the body's stores of vitamin C which makes us more susceptable to pain. That's the only theory I have on how stress can increase risk of pain, cancer, and depression (low vit C levela increases depression - besides the direct effect of stress making us unhappy).

Rosalind on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007927)

Stress causes muscles to tighten and tight leg muscles will tighten up the fascia. In stressful situations, occasionally I have even felt jabbing pains in my foot. Stress causes a host of other effects that interferes with healing.

Among the alternative methods that I have tried that helped are QiGong and a stress reduction class. My 'barometer' foot has convinced me that Qi or Chi is pretty amazing stuff. It's the basic principle of acupuncture, which helped with my tarsal tunnel, but was very slow with the pf. I was glad to find out I could get good results myself through deep breathing and chi exercises.

There are lots of other things I am doing using this inspirational message board. Good luck!