Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help with Stretches

Posted by wendy on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007920)

I saw a pod. doctor in Feb. He immediately said I had PF and gave me a cortisone shot. He told me to keep up my aerobics and walking and didn't advise staying off foot, stretches, or ice. After FIVE shots, and getting worse each time, I told him to take a walk and found this page. Now, specifically, do I wear shoes when I stretch or do it barefooted? Would it be better to do in pool (weightfree) or against wall in house? I'm trying all the things you advise in your messages, and just hope something works soon, cause the doc said I would be back for surgery, without a doubt.

Re: Help with Stretches

Jackie on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007933)

Wendy, I'm so paranoid that I do my stretches first thing in the morning in bed. First I message my foot then point and flex my feet. I only have PF in my right foot but I'm not taking any chances and I stretch both feet. I then get out of bed and put on my Birks and stretch out my feet and calves by doing the typical runners calf stretch up against my bedroom wall. At this point in my life I'm not going to go barefoot for a second. I guess you could say I've been snake bit. I'll be reading what everyone else says. Keep the faith.

Judy on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007936)

I stretch first thing in the morning in bed, the same as Jackie. I then find time a couple of times during the day to stretch at a wall. If I can find a quiet place, I do floor stretches for quads and hamstring.

Sounds as if your poditrist is a bit aggressive with shots and not very interested in seeing your improvement. My pod has been very conserative - at MY insistance . She pulled out the shots at my first appointment. I looked at her, looked at the ice pack and set-up and said 'I don't think so!' She and I went around and around about it for about four visits until she finally got the idea that I wanted only the most conservative treatment possible. I gave up step aerobics on my own, but I am feeling well enough to consider starting a walking program.

Try to find the time to read Scott's 16 page article. There are some very helpful treatments and supplements that can be alternatives to shots and perscription NSIDs.

Good luck!

Jackie on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007933)

Wendy, I'm so paranoid that I do my stretches first thing in the morning in bed. First I message my foot then point and flex my feet. I only have PF in my right foot but I'm not taking any chances and I stretch both feet. I then get out of bed and put on my Birks and stretch out my feet and calves by doing the typical runners calf stretch up against my bedroom wall. At this point in my life I'm not going to go barefoot for a second. I guess you could say I've been snake bit. I'll be reading what everyone else says. Keep the faith.

Judy on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007936)

I stretch first thing in the morning in bed, the same as Jackie. I then find time a couple of times during the day to stretch at a wall. If I can find a quiet place, I do floor stretches for quads and hamstring.

Sounds as if your poditrist is a bit aggressive with shots and not very interested in seeing your improvement. My pod has been very conserative - at MY insistance . She pulled out the shots at my first appointment. I looked at her, looked at the ice pack and set-up and said 'I don't think so!' She and I went around and around about it for about four visits until she finally got the idea that I wanted only the most conservative treatment possible. I gave up step aerobics on my own, but I am feeling well enough to consider starting a walking program.

Try to find the time to read Scott's 16 page article. There are some very helpful treatments and supplements that can be alternatives to shots and perscription NSIDs.

Good luck!