Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Are Berk's harmful for long walks? Help please vacation coming soon.

Posted by BarbJ on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007921)

Kind of long but I really am looking for the advice of the knowledgable posters on this board.

I am a 53 yr old woman, tall and somewhat or more overweight. I wear Easy Spirit size 11 M loafer and 12 M fitness shoes where my toes are no where near the end. Due to the way my toes are shaped a 44 N Birkenstock. My Big toe is shorter than my other toes and my other toes hit the ridge on the size of Birkenstocks which fit me best which is a 43N or even 42N if not for my toes.

My friend who is a sort of 'expert on everything person' says that if I wear my Birkenstock Arizonas to Walt Disney World that I will damage my achilles tendon? Is this true? Berk's got me over the pain part of PF which I'd had for about a year.

The only problem I have with my Birkenstocks is that the heel does feel hard sometimes and my feet do feel fatigued after long periods. I wear them to work (Boston & Arizona with socks) with khakis about 4 days a week and wear an Easy Spirit Loafer on days I must be dressed up.

I have a new pair of easy spirit 'Erupt' which fit well but they don't really feel like the heel is high enough.

I will be walking a great deal and am very afraid the pain will return and spoil everyones vacation.

I think walking 4 or 5 miles is not unusual at Epcot. Our daughter is doing the college program there this summer and I so want to participate in whatever the family does.

Thank you,

Barb

Re: Are Berk's harmful for long walks? Help please vacation coming soon.

Robin on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007925)

I'm an avid Birk wearer. Have PF in both feet for about a year now. Birks have enabled me to have some fashion of normal life. Also, I'm about your age and same physical description, maybe a tad shorter.

But -- I honestly believe that if you have PF and you plan to walk 4-5 miles a day on pavement, there are no shoes in the world that will protect you. Personally, if it were me, I would take three or four pairs and let everyone in the group carry a pair for you. I'd take Birks, I'd take athletic shoes, I'd take loafer or tie shoes with Birk inserts -- whatever gives you relief. But, I'd also plan on having some pain. I'd be real surprised if you could get through four or five miles without it. By the way, Birkenstock does make 'trekking' shoes and Birkenstock Express on the Net has some on special now. I've never tried them -- I'm your basic Arizona type myself -- but they LOOK interesting. Good luck, Barb -- keep us posted about what you decide and how it worked out.

heather on 6/24/99 at 00:00 (008093)

I've been suffering from heel pain for the past 6-7 months and found a great pair of sneakers called New Balance (walkers. I got a wide width - cost about $60 - great, great, great! I wish I could wear them in the shower! I'm not saying the pain is gone - but a big improvement!!!!!!

Robin on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007925)

I'm an avid Birk wearer. Have PF in both feet for about a year now. Birks have enabled me to have some fashion of normal life. Also, I'm about your age and same physical description, maybe a tad shorter.

But -- I honestly believe that if you have PF and you plan to walk 4-5 miles a day on pavement, there are no shoes in the world that will protect you. Personally, if it were me, I would take three or four pairs and let everyone in the group carry a pair for you. I'd take Birks, I'd take athletic shoes, I'd take loafer or tie shoes with Birk inserts -- whatever gives you relief. But, I'd also plan on having some pain. I'd be real surprised if you could get through four or five miles without it. By the way, Birkenstock does make 'trekking' shoes and Birkenstock Express on the Net has some on special now. I've never tried them -- I'm your basic Arizona type myself -- but they LOOK interesting. Good luck, Barb -- keep us posted about what you decide and how it worked out.

heather on 6/24/99 at 00:00 (008093)

I've been suffering from heel pain for the past 6-7 months and found a great pair of sneakers called New Balance (walkers. I got a wide width - cost about $60 - great, great, great! I wish I could wear them in the shower! I'm not saying the pain is gone - but a big improvement!!!!!!