Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New PF sufferer ... Help!

Posted by Denise on 6/19/99 at 00:00 (007930)

I went to the doctor on Wednesday, and was Diagnosed with PF in both feet, (left is by FAR worse then right), so they reccommended a cortisone shot, and ice, no stretching, and a stiffer arch support. I'm not sure if its better or worse, maybe the pains a little different? After reading posts by other people, i'm not sure the what I should do, any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Denise

Re: New PF sufferer ... Help!

Sarah on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007987)

Denise,
I am by no means a doctor but here is what put me on the road to recovery:

- Ice (10 mins. minimum) directly on sore spot as ofen as possible, especially after exercise.

- Wear orthotics (mine were custom made) at all times. NEVER GO BAREFOOT. This has made a big difference. Pull ou all inserts in shoes and put a Dr Scholl's (SP) insert in (air pillow is what they are called I think). This inserts are pretty thin you do not want anything real fluffy because what you need is strong support. Place orthodic on top. If you don't remove inserts from shoes you may over correct the problem and cause other problems.

- Stretching exercises. This was fundamental for me and painful at first, but you need to limber up a tight, too short tendon, which is the root of your problem.
During physical therapy I was told to do a runnner's stretch, heel lifts, circulate foot 20 times each rotation (to replicate motion of foot tilt board), and towel scrunches where you sit on a bench and start with your toes just over the edge of the flat towel and use your toes in a scruching fashion to pull the towel and scrunch it under your foot. This towel scrunch was a biggie and I was to do it five times in a row for each foot.

- If you get a cortisone shot, refrain from strenuous exercise so that the med can sit in there and do its job. I was told to refrain from exercise until we got it under control, and then we gradually added it back.

- If you are taking Ibuprofen (sp) do not be on it for unlimited time due to the fact that it causes stomach ulcers.

Good luck. I would get several opinions and research this websight before doing anything too drastic. I still cannot understand why your Dr. told you no stretching. That was an integral part to getting myself back on the road to recovery and I still am religious about my stretching so that my foot remains limber and won't be stressed when I do exercise.

Hope my info helps.
Sarah

Denise on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (008003)

Thanks for all of your help, i've started slowly doing the stretches, and ice, so far..it seems to be less pain (maybe the shot is helping there) and shorter hours on my feet at work, no more 12 hour days for a while (I hope) I still have a painful spot on the bottem of my foot, and the ice is helping that. I still have high hopes of this actually going away! :) All of your help is greatly appricated.

Thanks again,
Denise

Sarah on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007987)

Denise,
I am by no means a doctor but here is what put me on the road to recovery:

- Ice (10 mins. minimum) directly on sore spot as ofen as possible, especially after exercise.

- Wear orthotics (mine were custom made) at all times. NEVER GO BAREFOOT. This has made a big difference. Pull ou all inserts in shoes and put a Dr Scholl's (SP) insert in (air pillow is what they are called I think). This inserts are pretty thin you do not want anything real fluffy because what you need is strong support. Place orthodic on top. If you don't remove inserts from shoes you may over correct the problem and cause other problems.

- Stretching exercises. This was fundamental for me and painful at first, but you need to limber up a tight, too short tendon, which is the root of your problem.
During physical therapy I was told to do a runnner's stretch, heel lifts, circulate foot 20 times each rotation (to replicate motion of foot tilt board), and towel scrunches where you sit on a bench and start with your toes just over the edge of the flat towel and use your toes in a scruching fashion to pull the towel and scrunch it under your foot. This towel scrunch was a biggie and I was to do it five times in a row for each foot.

- If you get a cortisone shot, refrain from strenuous exercise so that the med can sit in there and do its job. I was told to refrain from exercise until we got it under control, and then we gradually added it back.

- If you are taking Ibuprofen (sp) do not be on it for unlimited time due to the fact that it causes stomach ulcers.

Good luck. I would get several opinions and research this websight before doing anything too drastic. I still cannot understand why your Dr. told you no stretching. That was an integral part to getting myself back on the road to recovery and I still am religious about my stretching so that my foot remains limber and won't be stressed when I do exercise.

Hope my info helps.
Sarah

Denise on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (008003)

Thanks for all of your help, i've started slowly doing the stretches, and ice, so far..it seems to be less pain (maybe the shot is helping there) and shorter hours on my feet at work, no more 12 hour days for a while (I hope) I still have a painful spot on the bottem of my foot, and the ice is helping that. I still have high hopes of this actually going away! :) All of your help is greatly appricated.

Thanks again,
Denise