Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lisa and Alicia, progress report

Posted by Gordon on 6/20/99 at 00:00 (007948)

I have been sticking close to the diet and continuing to see more and more improvement. I am allowing myself to eat larger variety of foods now but am still sticking to ' comlex carbs only, no bread products, no sweets, no fruit juice, lots of vegetables, limited fruit (more than most people probably eat) and protein (lots of salmon). Taking 4000 mg Vit C, 800 iu E, HTP, calcium magnesium and zinc(because no dairy), high quality non-dairy acidophilus (powder form). Lots of exercise.

Worked in the yard putting in landscaping timbers all day yesterday and went on a 2 hour hike today(uphill both ways, against the wind snow, and ice) and am doing great. Seriously, my feet are not slowing me down hardly at all. Building muscle back up in my legs is actually a higher priority right now.

I don't know if I'm killing the yeast or what, but the diet and exercsise does it.
From the reports of others doing the Atkins diet which is similar (the long term version, not the weight loss version) I think more people should try this. I think the Atkins approach of too much emphasis on meat may not be good for the long long term though.

Contrary to what Atkins and other high protein advocates say,if you research the diet of early man and other primates with similar jaw/tooth contruction you will find that for the most part, the natural diet does not contain significant amounts of meat, nor cultivated wheat/barley/rice type crops(of course) , but instead is mostly nuts, seeds,leaves, roots, fruit, and vegetables.

I beleive that our overly high concentration of simple carbohydrates, refined sugars etc. combined with high amounts of meat protein is the root cause of many health problems and even if it only affects a small portion of the population, it is case of probablities and the many other unknowns that catch up to us.

I still love a juicy steak, but I keep it to a minumum and have smaller portion. Nowdays when we have steak we usually split one steak between three people (wife, son , and myself).

Gordon

Re: Lisa and Alicia, progress report

Roberta on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007967)

Hey Gordon,

Congrats. Your diet sounds awesome. From all I have been reading, I think what you're eating is probably as healthy as it gets. I try to do the same thing (though I eat dairy). When I remain strict about the diet I feel so much better. I have tons of energy and I am a bit more cheerful too (really, sugar and white flour make me super grouchy).

I got to hike for the first time last week. It was so much fun, my foot didn't even complain much. How do you go uphill both ways?

Re: Lisa and Alicia, progress report

Roberta on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007967)

Hey Gordon,

Congrats. Your diet sounds awesome. From all I have been reading, I think what you're eating is probably as healthy as it gets. I try to do the same thing (though I eat dairy). When I remain strict about the diet I feel so much better. I have tons of energy and I am a bit more cheerful too (really, sugar and white flour make me super grouchy).

I got to hike for the first time last week. It was so much fun, my foot didn't even complain much. How do you go uphill both ways?