Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tight fascia on the bottom of the foot!

Posted by suzi on 6/20/99 at 00:00 (007953)

This may sound silly, but does anyone else have extremely tight fascia tissue along the bottom of the foot or is it just me?? Mine is so tight it feels like a guitar string!!!
thanks

Re: tight fascia on the bottom of the foot!

Renee on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007960)

You are not alone!!!My husband massages my foot daily and he can ALWAYS feel the tightness.Sometimes it hurts a lot when he is massaging but I always feel better afterwards. Happy Hobbling!!

Helene on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007965)

Yes, mine is so tight you can not only feel it but see it when I flex my foot.

Gina on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007980)

My physical therapist has me pull back on my toes to make the fascia 'pop up' so you can easily see it and feel it. Then I either massage it or do my own version of myofascial release. To release it I was told to pull back on toes with one hand, and take a finger and apply pressure on the fascia about midway along it's length. It's easy to do and has helped me.

Sarah on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007984)

Forgive me if I am wrong about this, but isn't this what plantar fascia is? When my doctor explained it to me he said that I was born with a tendon that is naturally too short. As a result your body sends your foot the message to grow more bone in order to bridge the gap for the tendon that is too small. This extra bone is what we call a heel spur. Perhaps his explantion to me was too simplistic, but aren't you asking the obvious? Just a question. To answer yours, yes mine is tight. That is why my physical therapist gave me all kinds of exercises to stretch it so that it would be as limber as possible.

Jackie on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007986)

My Pod told me that the problem with my foot is about the same thing that is happening to my eyesight. Things that used to stretch no longer do. My optic nerve used to be able to stretch thus allowing me to see far and near. Now at 43 my eyesight isn't so good and my right foot is tight as can be. I actually have a hard lump just up from my heal toward the middle of my foot. I spend most of my time messaging that area.

Renee on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007960)

You are not alone!!!My husband massages my foot daily and he can ALWAYS feel the tightness.Sometimes it hurts a lot when he is massaging but I always feel better afterwards. Happy Hobbling!!

Helene on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007965)

Yes, mine is so tight you can not only feel it but see it when I flex my foot.

Gina on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007980)

My physical therapist has me pull back on my toes to make the fascia 'pop up' so you can easily see it and feel it. Then I either massage it or do my own version of myofascial release. To release it I was told to pull back on toes with one hand, and take a finger and apply pressure on the fascia about midway along it's length. It's easy to do and has helped me.

Sarah on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007984)

Forgive me if I am wrong about this, but isn't this what plantar fascia is? When my doctor explained it to me he said that I was born with a tendon that is naturally too short. As a result your body sends your foot the message to grow more bone in order to bridge the gap for the tendon that is too small. This extra bone is what we call a heel spur. Perhaps his explantion to me was too simplistic, but aren't you asking the obvious? Just a question. To answer yours, yes mine is tight. That is why my physical therapist gave me all kinds of exercises to stretch it so that it would be as limber as possible.

Jackie on 6/21/99 at 00:00 (007986)

My Pod told me that the problem with my foot is about the same thing that is happening to my eyesight. Things that used to stretch no longer do. My optic nerve used to be able to stretch thus allowing me to see far and near. Now at 43 my eyesight isn't so good and my right foot is tight as can be. I actually have a hard lump just up from my heal toward the middle of my foot. I spend most of my time messaging that area.