Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My first time, sports related , and it's been depressing..

Posted by Keenan on 6/24/99 at 00:00 (008104)

Hi everyone,
This is a great site. I am an active athlete who played sports my entire life. I've played through all kinds of pain but this is a completely debilitating injury! I'm a guy who is used to intense exercise and this is just brutal. I injured my heel (foot) about three weeks ago in an Ultimate frisbee tournament. We played over 5 hours of ultimate involving intense running, cutting, and jumping on Saturday and that night I could barely walk! The next morning I had to crawl to the showers because the pain was so bad!! I had to go to hospital emergency to check it out and the doctor told me I had plantar faciitis. He subscribed anti-inflammatories (novo-di-clofenac SR 100mg?) and Tylenol 3's(codeine) for the pain. He recommended crutches or a cane. I disregarded the pain and attempted to play again in 3 days. I had thought the pain had gone away....wrong! Needless to say it came back BIG time. I barely made it home the pain was so bad! For a week I tried to RUN off the pain.. bike and lifestep then lift weights for an hour a day. I just forced my self to play through the pain. But every morning I could barely walk (sometimes had to crawl) and I finally realize it was not getting better! I finally (3 weeks later) went to see a podiatrist today. He told me I had to REST. He then taped my foot (lengthwise) and told me to leave it on until next week when I see him again. Take baths to keep my taping dry. Until then do streches and ice and keep of my feet! Anyways I hope this works....:) I wonder, has anyone else have this treatment?

Re: My first time, sports related , and it's been depressing..

alex on 6/24/99 at 00:00 (008105)

You've learned the hard way what many of us already knew.......Trying to walk/run/play through this pain can set you back MONTHS. It is depressing, as we all know, but there are other forms of exercise which can work. For my part I haven't played tennis in 9 months, but I am now able to play golf regularly (walking the course). Will probably try tennis again this summer. But I am being very cautious, as I know that the condition has not completely gone away - even though I am about 90% pain-free. Good luck

Bea on 6/24/99 at 00:00 (008116)

I sure wish that doctors would tell us that pain means something is wrong. This diea or working through the pain is idiotic at best. Please listen to your body. If you are in pain stop what you are doing, don't intensify it. Get help when you hurt, at the very least a professional opinion. The doctors are not always right but there is info around. Read this site. Scott has done a teriffic job in informing us. Take advantage of the knowledge.

Hank on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008130)

Keenan,
I sustained plantar fasciitis in exactly the same way you did - playing in an ultimate frisbee league. I thought I had bruised my
heel somehow and figured that it would go way. I kept playing in
league games and even bagged the cleats and played in tennis shoes
(did that make cutting difficult!). Needless to say the PF only
got worse. Once I had it diagnosed that was the end of ultimate.
I still tried to keep running (easy) and spin cycling. The PF still
got worse to the point I had problems even walking. I'm a triathlete
and have had to totally bag this season (was hurt last September).
I still swim and weight lift but no longer run. Lord knows the mental
agony of giving up things you love is excrutiating! I have hopes
of competing again next year but am still seeking the magic cure for
this ailment. The pf is much more manageable now and I can play golf
plus do some other activities. I want to run again however as I'm
sure you do too. Good luck and don't be saying 'Disc Up!' for a few
months! Careful not to be too aggressive with the stretching. Be
thankful its PF and not something much worse such as cancer.
best regards, Hank

John C. on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008131)

Keenan,
I am a runner who injured my left foot 14 months ago by jumping off of a tree (about 6 feet). Then I really made it much worse by trying to do my normal running. I tried off and on for 3 months to run thru it. That was a real dumb thing to do. Hind site is soooo much better. Once I figured out that there was no running thru it, I went to a Podiatrist, found this web site, and have done everything that I could for the last 10 months. I have improved to the point where I can run 2 miles. I'm slowly building up my distance again. It feels great, but I am very afraid of reinjuring the foot.

My hind site tells me that if I had just known what I was dealing with and had stayed away from running until I had gotten the injury to heal, I might have been able to return to running in just a few months instead of the 14 that it has taken.

Have patience. Read Scott's main document. Try everything. Find out what works for you. Find alternate forms of exercise. Any type of peddling works for me.

Best of luck.

John C.

Roberta on 6/27/99 at 00:00 (008238)

Yup, I know exactly how you feel. I was training for a marathon when I fell apart, and yes I tried to keep running (in my defense I will say that I had it before and was able to keep running and it wen t away). Anyhow, when it started to get better for me is when I stopped walking barefoot or in shoes that hurt my feet (clogs or running shoes w/ orthotics ONLY) and started stretching. I ride a bike and lift weights to keep myself from going crazy. On the plus side, I have gotten so into biking I think I am going to start racing. Oh, and on the walking barefoot thing, that means even when you get up in the morning to go to the bathroom ,I put my clogs on first thing!!! (They told me that at the beginning and I didn't believe them). But now, 4-5 months later I can run and my foot only starts to hurt when I do yard work.

Hank C. on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008285)

Roberta,
How often do you run and what mileage/clip? My PF still causes
pain (esp. in morning) but is not out of control. I've had it now
for approx. 10 months and would like to resume running by the fall.
I don't know if I'll be pain free by then.
bbest regards, Hank

Roberta on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008288)

I would definately wait until you are relatively pain free before starting to run. I haven't tried any serious training (too scared). But I seem to be able to run an hour or so at 8-9 minute miles no problem. I TAPE every single time I run. I am losing some skin on my sole but I think it is necessary. Around the heel then up and over the top of the foot (separate pieces of tape). Also, my physical therapist said that the fat pads on my heel have moved off to the sides. So I tape those under my heel. If it hurts WHILE you run, stop. Oh, also when I first started running again I couldn't run up hills - it seems much harder on the arch. It's okay now.

Hank on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008337)

Roberta,
Thanks. I would LOVE to be able to run for an hour at 8 or 9
minute miles. I'm probably not ready for that yet - still a little
too much pain. I don't want to start running again too early and
ruin any chance for next year. Oh well, back to the pool for some
more laps (sigh). It just ain't the same!
best regards, Hank

alex on 6/24/99 at 00:00 (008105)

You've learned the hard way what many of us already knew.......Trying to walk/run/play through this pain can set you back MONTHS. It is depressing, as we all know, but there are other forms of exercise which can work. For my part I haven't played tennis in 9 months, but I am now able to play golf regularly (walking the course). Will probably try tennis again this summer. But I am being very cautious, as I know that the condition has not completely gone away - even though I am about 90% pain-free. Good luck

Bea on 6/24/99 at 00:00 (008116)

I sure wish that doctors would tell us that pain means something is wrong. This diea or working through the pain is idiotic at best. Please listen to your body. If you are in pain stop what you are doing, don't intensify it. Get help when you hurt, at the very least a professional opinion. The doctors are not always right but there is info around. Read this site. Scott has done a teriffic job in informing us. Take advantage of the knowledge.

Hank on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008130)

Keenan,
I sustained plantar fasciitis in exactly the same way you did - playing in an ultimate frisbee league. I thought I had bruised my
heel somehow and figured that it would go way. I kept playing in
league games and even bagged the cleats and played in tennis shoes
(did that make cutting difficult!). Needless to say the PF only
got worse. Once I had it diagnosed that was the end of ultimate.
I still tried to keep running (easy) and spin cycling. The PF still
got worse to the point I had problems even walking. I'm a triathlete
and have had to totally bag this season (was hurt last September).
I still swim and weight lift but no longer run. Lord knows the mental
agony of giving up things you love is excrutiating! I have hopes
of competing again next year but am still seeking the magic cure for
this ailment. The pf is much more manageable now and I can play golf
plus do some other activities. I want to run again however as I'm
sure you do too. Good luck and don't be saying 'Disc Up!' for a few
months! Careful not to be too aggressive with the stretching. Be
thankful its PF and not something much worse such as cancer.
best regards, Hank

John C. on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008131)

Keenan,
I am a runner who injured my left foot 14 months ago by jumping off of a tree (about 6 feet). Then I really made it much worse by trying to do my normal running. I tried off and on for 3 months to run thru it. That was a real dumb thing to do. Hind site is soooo much better. Once I figured out that there was no running thru it, I went to a Podiatrist, found this web site, and have done everything that I could for the last 10 months. I have improved to the point where I can run 2 miles. I'm slowly building up my distance again. It feels great, but I am very afraid of reinjuring the foot.

My hind site tells me that if I had just known what I was dealing with and had stayed away from running until I had gotten the injury to heal, I might have been able to return to running in just a few months instead of the 14 that it has taken.

Have patience. Read Scott's main document. Try everything. Find out what works for you. Find alternate forms of exercise. Any type of peddling works for me.

Best of luck.

John C.

Roberta on 6/27/99 at 00:00 (008238)

Yup, I know exactly how you feel. I was training for a marathon when I fell apart, and yes I tried to keep running (in my defense I will say that I had it before and was able to keep running and it wen t away). Anyhow, when it started to get better for me is when I stopped walking barefoot or in shoes that hurt my feet (clogs or running shoes w/ orthotics ONLY) and started stretching. I ride a bike and lift weights to keep myself from going crazy. On the plus side, I have gotten so into biking I think I am going to start racing. Oh, and on the walking barefoot thing, that means even when you get up in the morning to go to the bathroom ,I put my clogs on first thing!!! (They told me that at the beginning and I didn't believe them). But now, 4-5 months later I can run and my foot only starts to hurt when I do yard work.

Hank C. on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008285)

Roberta,
How often do you run and what mileage/clip? My PF still causes
pain (esp. in morning) but is not out of control. I've had it now
for approx. 10 months and would like to resume running by the fall.
I don't know if I'll be pain free by then.
bbest regards, Hank

Roberta on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008288)

I would definately wait until you are relatively pain free before starting to run. I haven't tried any serious training (too scared). But I seem to be able to run an hour or so at 8-9 minute miles no problem. I TAPE every single time I run. I am losing some skin on my sole but I think it is necessary. Around the heel then up and over the top of the foot (separate pieces of tape). Also, my physical therapist said that the fat pads on my heel have moved off to the sides. So I tape those under my heel. If it hurts WHILE you run, stop. Oh, also when I first started running again I couldn't run up hills - it seems much harder on the arch. It's okay now.

Hank on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008337)

Roberta,
Thanks. I would LOVE to be able to run for an hour at 8 or 9
minute miles. I'm probably not ready for that yet - still a little
too much pain. I don't want to start running again too early and
ruin any chance for next year. Oh well, back to the pool for some
more laps (sigh). It just ain't the same!
best regards, Hank