Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain moved from arch to heel!

Posted by Alan on 6/24/99 at 00:00 (008114)

I'm a marathon runner, and had to stop running after my last marathon 4 weeks ago due to my first PF injury that I got from the race. Since then I've had pain in the arch towards the heel, but not in the heel area itself, and I've stopped running, applied ice daily, done lots of stretching, taped my arch for cycling classes, and the pain in the arch has lessened dramatically to the point where I only feel any pain when I push the injured area hard. But today, the pain has definitely moved from the arch area to the heel. What is going on?? I'm confused??

Re: Pain moved from arch to heel!

janet on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008140)

You probably altered your gait to relieve the pain in your mid-arch, thereby creating secondary pain in the heel area. It happened to me. My advice is to stop cycling for awhile and really give your feet a chance to heal.

Alan on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008141)

Ok, I was wondering if that might be the problem. How long am I going to need to give it compete rest do you think? Days, weeks, months? It's hard enough for me not to run for these last 4 weeks, but not to cycle as well is going to drive me nuts!

janet on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008140)

You probably altered your gait to relieve the pain in your mid-arch, thereby creating secondary pain in the heel area. It happened to me. My advice is to stop cycling for awhile and really give your feet a chance to heal.

Alan on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008141)

Ok, I was wondering if that might be the problem. How long am I going to need to give it compete rest do you think? Days, weeks, months? It's hard enough for me not to run for these last 4 weeks, but not to cycle as well is going to drive me nuts!