Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What Orthopedic Surgeon Just Told Me re: PF

Posted by Martha on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008143)

I just returned home from my appointment with an orthopedic surgeon at a leading group who work on a lot of professional athletes and other in the Central Florida area. I have suffered for 10 months with PF and been to podiatrist and got custom orthodics, went to acupuncturist(waste of time) and tried Oregeno Oil, Ibuprofen cream etc. with no success. Glucosamine compound helps some. Mostly I was discouraged and considering surgery. This honest doctor told me that the best treatment is TIME.
Do the stretching, good shoes and shoe inserts, vitamins etc. whatever seems to help. He said most people have it a year or two but THE ONLY PEOPLE HE EVER SAW WHO NEVER GOT WELL WERE THE ONES WHO HAD THE SURGERY! In my case the bone spurs evident on the X-rays are not causing the problem (many people have bone spurs in various parts of their body and they don't necessarily cause pain) and he said cutting the tissue in the foot is not the right thing and only invites more pain from scar tissue etc. As frustrating as it may be that there is no magic bullet, I will opt for TIME, stretching, vitamins and remedies.

Re: What Orthopedic Surgeon Just Told Me re: PF

Lori on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008146)

Hi Martha! I hope time will help you! 10 years of constant pain didn't help me and I had the surgery last month. 4 weeks and 4 days, I'm back on my feet with some soreness. I see a light at the end of the pain tunnel for the first time in years. I tried all that you are going to try. Surgery WAS the last resort. Good luck with your feet!
Lori in AZ

Bobbi on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008155)

Hi Martha, read your note and have to tell you the doctor told me the same thng. I went to an doctor in State College, Pa who is know for his work with the state college football team. He actually ask me to promise I would never let anyone cut open my foot. I think time is the answer--hope you are doing well--Bobbi

Martha on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008159)

Lori, if I had had this 10 years I would have called Dr. Kavorkian (sp?) by now. I certainly hope that your surgery is helpful because you had to do something after so long. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Lori on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008146)

Hi Martha! I hope time will help you! 10 years of constant pain didn't help me and I had the surgery last month. 4 weeks and 4 days, I'm back on my feet with some soreness. I see a light at the end of the pain tunnel for the first time in years. I tried all that you are going to try. Surgery WAS the last resort. Good luck with your feet!
Lori in AZ

Bobbi on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008155)

Hi Martha, read your note and have to tell you the doctor told me the same thng. I went to an doctor in State College, Pa who is know for his work with the state college football team. He actually ask me to promise I would never let anyone cut open my foot. I think time is the answer--hope you are doing well--Bobbi

Martha on 6/25/99 at 00:00 (008159)

Lori, if I had had this 10 years I would have called Dr. Kavorkian (sp?) by now. I certainly hope that your surgery is helpful because you had to do something after so long. Please keep us posted on your progress.