Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yes and No. . . . .

Posted by Carol E. on 6/26/99 at 00:00 (008171)

At certain times of the day (when I get up and at night after a busy day), if I try to walk barefoot, it feels like my foot muscles and tendons are weak and I can feel my foot rolling inward like it is really over pronating (normally I don't think I over pronate at all because I don't have ANY abnormal wear patterns on my shoes). It is at these times when my feet are feeling weak that I wear my Birkenstocks around the house and the prominant arch support feels good. However, if I try to wear them all day (as in, a shopping trip to the city) my arches start to ache terribly from sitting on those firm arch supports too long so they definitely wouldn't be my shoe of choice for all day wear. I don't have flat feet either, in fact, my feet have a fairly high arch. BIG HELP I AM, HUH!!!

I am happy to report, though, that my foot is slowly but surely getting better. I don't know whether it is the low-carb diet, the 30 pounds lost, the better arch supports, or the daily exercising I have been doing---or everything combined, but my foot doesn't bother me at all about 80% of the time. In fact, yesterday I drove up a nearby canyon(I live in Wyoming and we have REAL mountains) and on the spur of the moment, I decided to just hike up a trail 'just a little ways' and ended up hiking 2 miles to a glacier lake and back. My foot was starting to ache some by the time I got back down but I sat down on a rock and soaked my feet in an ice cold stream for a while and I didn't have any problems. Yipee!!!