Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anybody rollerblade?

Posted by Sandra Z on 6/27/99 at 00:00 (008226)

Has anyone tried rollerblading with this condition? I've tried rollerskating with traditional skates and it doesn't seem to bother my heel much, but I wonder if that's because my old skates have a fairly substantial heel. Rollerblades look flatter, and thus might put more pressure on the fascia, so I would like to hear some opinions before I invest in a pair. I know I'll never jog again (jogging gave me PF twice and this time, tho it's under control, it seems like it's here to stay!) but I want to move again!

Re: Anybody rollerblade?

Rick on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008272)

Sandra,
I did quite a bit of rollerblading during the most intense period of my most recent bout with PF. I am now pain-free (most of which I attribute to taking alfalfa tablets (yes! apparently there is a natural anti-inflammatory agent in alfalfa). I have posted about it several times on this site - most recently, about 1-1/2 months ago.

Rollerblading never bothered me, and in fact it was very useful for me in getting aerobic exercise without pain (except, of course, when I fell). I much prefer rollerblades to skates - for some reason I feel much more in control and much more maneuverable. Plus, the lengthwise alignment of the wheels tends to support the whole foot better, I think. You have to have fairly strong ankles, but unless you have had major problems with your ankles, it shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck. Be sure to wear all the protective gear if you're going blading on the street or the sidewalk (knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards and helmet). It's really good exercise - my whole family does it.

Re: Anybody rollerblade?

Rick on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008272)

Sandra,
I did quite a bit of rollerblading during the most intense period of my most recent bout with PF. I am now pain-free (most of which I attribute to taking alfalfa tablets (yes! apparently there is a natural anti-inflammatory agent in alfalfa). I have posted about it several times on this site - most recently, about 1-1/2 months ago.

Rollerblading never bothered me, and in fact it was very useful for me in getting aerobic exercise without pain (except, of course, when I fell). I much prefer rollerblades to skates - for some reason I feel much more in control and much more maneuverable. Plus, the lengthwise alignment of the wheels tends to support the whole foot better, I think. You have to have fairly strong ankles, but unless you have had major problems with your ankles, it shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck. Be sure to wear all the protective gear if you're going blading on the street or the sidewalk (knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards and helmet). It's really good exercise - my whole family does it.