Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Simon on Ossatron and Surgery

Posted by Scott on 6/27/99 at 00:00 (008233)

Hi Scott,

I'd be happy to add to a Ossatron discussion group. There are not many doctors like me who have actually suffered from the problem themselves. I have generally found that most family docters and orthopedic surgeons have little understanding of the potential severity of PF and its devastating impact on people's lives. And they do not know how to treat it. I think I have a lot to say.

I who like to stress to you though that my training is in pediatric
intensive care (I look after critically ill children in ICU). However
since my bad injury 2 yrs ago I've read and talked to and seen heaps of people and seen foot and ankle docters in Canada, USA, and Australia.

By the way, I'm out of work for the last 1 year due to limited walking
ability and multiple surgeries (not for PF) and live in Canmore, Alberta
(near Banff). I have no financial interest in the Ossatron, I paid fully
for my care in Ontario and Dr. Galea does not know I recommended him on your website. I posted the message as a service to PF suffers.

To comment on the painfulness of the procedure. Yes, it hurts but the
pain is limited by infiltration of local anesthetic and a nerve block.
But who cares if it hurts if it is going to help!

The less painful device is the Dornier machine which gives lower
intensity shocks, but requires multiple treatments a week apart and even then may not be as effective.

Extracorpoeal shock wave therapy is the most heavily researched therapy available for PF. Not to try it is crazy. Surgery, to me, anatomically does not make a lot of sense as even with a partial release the arch height is lowered. We know that a complete release is devastating, leading to midfoot arthritis and, long term, a partial relaese may do the same. There are no long term followup studies. I cannot believe the low threshold particularly by the US podiatrists have for doing the endoscopic procedure.

Please feel free to post this e-mail for your discussion group if you
want.

Regards, Simon

[simon parsons, email 6/27/99]

Re: Dr. Simon on Ossatron and Surgery

Trish on 6/27/99 at 00:00 (008254)

Hi. I live in Edmonton and have had pf for 7 yrs. in both feet. I have tried just about everything, including surgery in 1995 which did not help and damaged some nerves. I'm very interested in the ossatron. Is it available anywhere in Alberta? Also, if it's only in Toronto (for us Canadians), what is involved in going there.....how many treatments, cost (does Alta. health care cover any of it?), recovery time, if any, etc. any info. you can provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Re: Dr. Simon on Ossatron and Surgery

Trish on 6/27/99 at 00:00 (008254)

Hi. I live in Edmonton and have had pf for 7 yrs. in both feet. I have tried just about everything, including surgery in 1995 which did not help and damaged some nerves. I'm very interested in the ossatron. Is it available anywhere in Alberta? Also, if it's only in Toronto (for us Canadians), what is involved in going there.....how many treatments, cost (does Alta. health care cover any of it?), recovery time, if any, etc. any info. you can provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks.