Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pilates

Posted by Sarah on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008260)

Debbie, my interest was piqued concerning this form of exrecise. I remember learning a bit about this in PE for the elementary educator class I took. Your price of $300 is very reasonable. I went to Yahoo and did a key word search and came up with this address:
http://balancedbody.com/ The one I looked at there was $899. I was wondering which of these machines closely resembles yours? During physical therapy I was told to do a lot of stretching which helped my pf dramatically. I'll bet this type of workout takes it to the next level. It is definitely no impact! I looked at some other sights as well and found machines in the $800 range. Let me know what you think. Perhaps it might be beneficial to locate a studio in my city to try out before investing in a piece of equipment that might not work. Post back Sarah

Re: Pilates

Martha on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008263)

Sarah,I just found the site (through Yahoo) that has the Pilates Performer for $369.(plus shipping and handling). They said ' as demonstrated on our widely viewed infomerical' so that sounds like the place where Debbie got hers. You can click on The Pilataes Studio
about half way down on the Yahoo list or go directly to http://www.pilates-studio.com and click on equipment. The phone listed is 888/278-7227 or 212/875-0189 ext.23. They are in NYC
I would live to try one but wish I could hear more about it or try one before I spent the money.

Debbie on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008271)

I found I couldn't get to the right site by the www number listed, but did get there by (email removed) and then clicking on equipment at the bottom of the page. I phoned the 800 number this am to tell them aboout my feet in hopes of getting them to investigate it furthur. Personally i think it is the stretching against resistance that does it. After I got better the first time I had a couple of minor sore heels and would immediately up the number of times I used the Pilates and it would be better is a day or two. I haven't had any soreness in about a year but use the machine daily (it really is pleasnt) At any rate the woman I was talking to said they have a 30 day return policy at Stamina Product ( the 800 number) so you wouldn't be out a bunch of money if it didn't help you.I don't know what the return policy is at that website I told you about. QVC does carry the Pilates Performer but I don't know if they have them in stock. The Canadian Home Shopping Network does not have any in stock.I will continue to try and find someone to do a study like a running magazine or sports medicine clinic. I was also given their spokeswoman's phone number and will continue to get info. If anyone tries it please let me know.I don't know anything about the studios where tdhey do Pilates and I'm sure there isn't one in my province.When I got my Performer I did the foot warmup excercises and the cool down 'running' as often as possible and at least four times a day- getting up, just before going to work. arrival home and before bed. As i said it only takes about two minutes. I think the excercise called heel lowers and the running were the most important and I could feel it working almost immediately. Good luck.

wendy on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008275)

I found several books on the Pilates method in the Amazon.com bookstore for $12-15. I ordered one, figuring I might try learning something about the method before investing in equipment. Your exercises have helped, but the benefits don't seem to last long, will keep trying though and still thank you.

Martha on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008263)

Sarah,I just found the site (through Yahoo) that has the Pilates Performer for $369.(plus shipping and handling). They said ' as demonstrated on our widely viewed infomerical' so that sounds like the place where Debbie got hers. You can click on The Pilataes Studio
about half way down on the Yahoo list or go directly to http://www.pilates-studio.com and click on equipment. The phone listed is 888/278-7227 or 212/875-0189 ext.23. They are in NYC
I would live to try one but wish I could hear more about it or try one before I spent the money.

Debbie on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008271)

I found I couldn't get to the right site by the www number listed, but did get there by (email removed) and then clicking on equipment at the bottom of the page. I phoned the 800 number this am to tell them aboout my feet in hopes of getting them to investigate it furthur. Personally i think it is the stretching against resistance that does it. After I got better the first time I had a couple of minor sore heels and would immediately up the number of times I used the Pilates and it would be better is a day or two. I haven't had any soreness in about a year but use the machine daily (it really is pleasnt) At any rate the woman I was talking to said they have a 30 day return policy at Stamina Product ( the 800 number) so you wouldn't be out a bunch of money if it didn't help you.I don't know what the return policy is at that website I told you about. QVC does carry the Pilates Performer but I don't know if they have them in stock. The Canadian Home Shopping Network does not have any in stock.I will continue to try and find someone to do a study like a running magazine or sports medicine clinic. I was also given their spokeswoman's phone number and will continue to get info. If anyone tries it please let me know.I don't know anything about the studios where tdhey do Pilates and I'm sure there isn't one in my province.When I got my Performer I did the foot warmup excercises and the cool down 'running' as often as possible and at least four times a day- getting up, just before going to work. arrival home and before bed. As i said it only takes about two minutes. I think the excercise called heel lowers and the running were the most important and I could feel it working almost immediately. Good luck.

wendy on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008275)

I found several books on the Pilates method in the Amazon.com bookstore for $12-15. I ordered one, figuring I might try learning something about the method before investing in equipment. Your exercises have helped, but the benefits don't seem to last long, will keep trying though and still thank you.