Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching And Icing

Posted by Landis Carr on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008302)

I have determined that I should approach my stretching program cautiously and don't overdo it at first. Also, I am surprised at the number of people that strongly recommend icing.I have never tried icing.Under what circumstances should icing be used?For example,should it be used even though I have been resting my foot all day with no stretching or exercise involved?I need more education on the relevancy of icing.Any advice will be appreciated.

Re: Stretching And Icing

Bea on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008314)

My foot has a tendency to swell so I ice for that and it also relieves the pain. I usea hot/cold bandage that I keep in the freezer so it is always ready. I wrap in a washcloth and I am good and happy for about an hour. Some people ice a coke botttle& run the botton of their foot on it but I don't have that kind of problem. Godd Luck

Sarah on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008335)

Both my doctor and physical therapist insisted I ice as much as possible. My feet had gotten so bad because I was in denial and kept abusing them much longer than I should have. As a result they were swollen. They didn't seem swollen to me, but after I started icing and seeing the improvement day by day, I was convinced how effective and helpful this was. Its a cheap fix and I say go buy some good ice bags at the pharmacy and an ace bandage. Wrap them tightly directly on the sorest spot and chill out!

Roberta on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008338)

I freeze waterin a cottage cheese container. Then run my foot over the bottom of the ice (it is kind of rounded and fits my foot perfectly). It makes a nice massage in addition to icing. A good icing approach is always 15-20 minutes on 10-15 minutes off and repeat.

Molly on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008339)

Icing has helped me tremendously. I ice 4 to 5 times a day for about 20 minutes. I've been doing this for about 6 months and I am finally feeling relief. I have an ice pack that I keep in the freezer and I also roll my foot on a frozen bottle of water that feels great!

Judy E on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008361)

I didn't realize how bad my feet were until I could hardly walk. (Guess I've got a very high pain threshold). I didn't realize how badly my feet were swollen until I started icing. I suddenly had bones in the top of my foot instead of fluid!

With summer on us, your feet will probably swell more. What a great way to 'chill out' from a stressful day but to prop up your feet, put an ice pack on those hurting 'puppies' and let out a sigh of relief!

Bea on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008314)

My foot has a tendency to swell so I ice for that and it also relieves the pain. I usea hot/cold bandage that I keep in the freezer so it is always ready. I wrap in a washcloth and I am good and happy for about an hour. Some people ice a coke botttle& run the botton of their foot on it but I don't have that kind of problem. Godd Luck

Sarah on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008335)

Both my doctor and physical therapist insisted I ice as much as possible. My feet had gotten so bad because I was in denial and kept abusing them much longer than I should have. As a result they were swollen. They didn't seem swollen to me, but after I started icing and seeing the improvement day by day, I was convinced how effective and helpful this was. Its a cheap fix and I say go buy some good ice bags at the pharmacy and an ace bandage. Wrap them tightly directly on the sorest spot and chill out!

Roberta on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008338)

I freeze waterin a cottage cheese container. Then run my foot over the bottom of the ice (it is kind of rounded and fits my foot perfectly). It makes a nice massage in addition to icing. A good icing approach is always 15-20 minutes on 10-15 minutes off and repeat.

Molly on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008339)

Icing has helped me tremendously. I ice 4 to 5 times a day for about 20 minutes. I've been doing this for about 6 months and I am finally feeling relief. I have an ice pack that I keep in the freezer and I also roll my foot on a frozen bottle of water that feels great!

Judy E on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008361)

I didn't realize how bad my feet were until I could hardly walk. (Guess I've got a very high pain threshold). I didn't realize how badly my feet were swollen until I started icing. I suddenly had bones in the top of my foot instead of fluid!

With summer on us, your feet will probably swell more. What a great way to 'chill out' from a stressful day but to prop up your feet, put an ice pack on those hurting 'puppies' and let out a sigh of relief!