Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Why do you use grapefruit juice with the tablets?

Posted by Scott on 6/28/99 at 00:00 (008321)

Why do you use grapefruit juice with the smashed ibuprofen tablets? I know it helps absorption in the stomach but I hadn't about absorption through skin.

Re: Why do you use grapefruit juice with the tablets?

Martha Dervish on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008331)

Scott, I used grapefruit juice because I thought it will melt the tablets down nicely, which it did, perhaps simulating acids in the stomach. Yesterday I was out of grapefruit juice and I used a few drops of apple cidar vinegar and that worked fine. Maybe water would work o.k. but I found the slightly acid liquids worked best form me. This morning my feet feel so good that I will use 1 tablet instead of 2 and see how that does. This sure is cheaper than the expensive creams and I haven't felt this well in a long time.

Sarah on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008359)

Martha, I thought to myself 'what the heck' and crunched 1 ibuprofen up in about 1 tablespoon of lemon juiice and rubbed it on my heels. I think it helped some. I am going to try it again, but I am going to put it in some aloe vera lotion I have and see that way. Perhaps it is a placebo and is all psycological. Next time I am going to pulverize two tablets. My only concern is that the ibuprofen cream is suppose to absorb less into your blood stream and be less detrimental to you liver. I wonder if the same is true of this strange 'voodoo' method. Anyway, i will keep you posted. Sarah

Martha Dervish on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008331)

Scott, I used grapefruit juice because I thought it will melt the tablets down nicely, which it did, perhaps simulating acids in the stomach. Yesterday I was out of grapefruit juice and I used a few drops of apple cidar vinegar and that worked fine. Maybe water would work o.k. but I found the slightly acid liquids worked best form me. This morning my feet feel so good that I will use 1 tablet instead of 2 and see how that does. This sure is cheaper than the expensive creams and I haven't felt this well in a long time.

Sarah on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008359)

Martha, I thought to myself 'what the heck' and crunched 1 ibuprofen up in about 1 tablespoon of lemon juiice and rubbed it on my heels. I think it helped some. I am going to try it again, but I am going to put it in some aloe vera lotion I have and see that way. Perhaps it is a placebo and is all psycological. Next time I am going to pulverize two tablets. My only concern is that the ibuprofen cream is suppose to absorb less into your blood stream and be less detrimental to you liver. I wonder if the same is true of this strange 'voodoo' method. Anyway, i will keep you posted. Sarah