Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is Driving a Pain?

Posted by wendy on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008343)

Does anyone else have trouble driving, and what have you done for it? My right foot has the PF and I find driving for a long period of time seems to aggravate my pain. Any suggestions?

Re: Is Driving a Pain?

Judy on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008350)

I also have the same problem and it is my right foot. The only advice I can offer is to wear something with a hard heel (I wear my Easy Spirts or Birks) whenever possible when you know you are driving and try to balance your foot and keep pressure off your heel. It is not easy and probably wouldn't help on any long distance trips. I don't know what else to suggest.

Judy E on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008358)

I haven't found driving so much of a pain, but getting out and walking after driving is as painful as first thing in the am.

I try to stretch and massage as often as possible and on long distance travels use the cruise control if you have one.

NOT looking forward to long drive over the 4th weekend, but the end result is the wonderful Outer Banks of NC!! and my best friend.

Hope you can find a way to ease the pain. Maybe trying to move your feet and frequent stops to stretch.

andi K on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008365)

I also had problems! I have pf in my left foot and was driving a stick shift. Depressing the clutch every few minutes was excruciating. I changed the position of my foot as frequently as possible, but I found there was really nothing I could do about it. I'm on the road to recovery now (got there by stopping all forms of exercise for the last 4 months and diligently wearing my night splint). I also bought a new car today-my first automatic in 12 years! (I didn't buy the new car because of my pf, but did go for an automatic because of it.) Good luck!

tina on 6/30/99 at 00:00 (008401)

Hi! I am new to this board but I wanted to comment. Driving is a real pain for me also-even the 20 min trip home causes severe burning pain. I often leave my shoe lose and try to rub and massage my heel at the red lights and at stop signs. Then when I try to get out of my car I have a real hard time even standing up. I feel so frustrated that I can't even do a simple task. tina

Judy on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008350)

I also have the same problem and it is my right foot. The only advice I can offer is to wear something with a hard heel (I wear my Easy Spirts or Birks) whenever possible when you know you are driving and try to balance your foot and keep pressure off your heel. It is not easy and probably wouldn't help on any long distance trips. I don't know what else to suggest.

Judy E on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008358)

I haven't found driving so much of a pain, but getting out and walking after driving is as painful as first thing in the am.

I try to stretch and massage as often as possible and on long distance travels use the cruise control if you have one.

NOT looking forward to long drive over the 4th weekend, but the end result is the wonderful Outer Banks of NC!! and my best friend.

Hope you can find a way to ease the pain. Maybe trying to move your feet and frequent stops to stretch.

andi K on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008365)

I also had problems! I have pf in my left foot and was driving a stick shift. Depressing the clutch every few minutes was excruciating. I changed the position of my foot as frequently as possible, but I found there was really nothing I could do about it. I'm on the road to recovery now (got there by stopping all forms of exercise for the last 4 months and diligently wearing my night splint). I also bought a new car today-my first automatic in 12 years! (I didn't buy the new car because of my pf, but did go for an automatic because of it.) Good luck!

tina on 6/30/99 at 00:00 (008401)

Hi! I am new to this board but I wanted to comment. Driving is a real pain for me also-even the 20 min trip home causes severe burning pain. I often leave my shoe lose and try to rub and massage my heel at the red lights and at stop signs. Then when I try to get out of my car I have a real hard time even standing up. I feel so frustrated that I can't even do a simple task. tina