Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pf, invisible fracture or what?

Posted by Michelle on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008371)

I have been suffering for only 2 weeks after injuring my heel jumping into a pool with stiff legs (misjudged the depth); I know this sounds like a fracture or bruise but 1. no fracture on xray; 2. I don't believe it could be a bruise because the pain is absolutely debilitating. My doctor has not offered a real diagnosis yet and I figured you heel-pros 'out there' would have useful medical opinions for me. Pain is most severe on outer side of heel, and both sides of heel are tender to touch and slightly swollen. Any ideas? thanks

Re: pf, invisible fracture or what?

Marie on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008373)

Hi. Sounds like you may have injured the fascia. I've been suffering in both feet for about one year now. Try rest, ice, elevation, and anti-inflamatory med. such as advil. You may need a stronger drug by prescription. You may also need cortisone injections but try the less agressive methods first. See a podiatrist or an orthopedic doctor, they are the best for this for this type of injury. This takes a long time to heal. I'm still working at it after a year and still have pain and can't stay on my feet for too long at a time. Good luck. If you try something that works for you, e-mail me. I'm still looking for suggestions for relief.

Re: pf, invisible fracture or what?-update

Michelle on 7/03/99 at 00:00 (008467)

Just fyi, the current diagnosis without doing a bone scan is a bruised heel bone; I believe this to be correct based upon the location and nature of the pain. Wrapping it sure does help, and the suggested treatment is the usual: elevation, icing, rest.

Re: pf, invisible fracture or what?

Marie on 6/29/99 at 00:00 (008373)

Hi. Sounds like you may have injured the fascia. I've been suffering in both feet for about one year now. Try rest, ice, elevation, and anti-inflamatory med. such as advil. You may need a stronger drug by prescription. You may also need cortisone injections but try the less agressive methods first. See a podiatrist or an orthopedic doctor, they are the best for this for this type of injury. This takes a long time to heal. I'm still working at it after a year and still have pain and can't stay on my feet for too long at a time. Good luck. If you try something that works for you, e-mail me. I'm still looking for suggestions for relief.

Re: pf, invisible fracture or what?-update

Michelle on 7/03/99 at 00:00 (008467)

Just fyi, the current diagnosis without doing a bone scan is a bruised heel bone; I believe this to be correct based upon the location and nature of the pain. Wrapping it sure does help, and the suggested treatment is the usual: elevation, icing, rest.