Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Concise Diagnosis

Posted by Bea on 6/30/99 at 00:00 (008389)

The actual diagnosis from my MRI is as follows:Severe chronic Achililes Tendonitis with interstitial fibrosis & mucold degeneration is present. A focal acute tear is noted involving the distal Achilles tendon at site of insertion. Larte plantar calcaneal spur is present. Prominent retrocaleaneal bursi is also noted. I'm to get physical therapy tomorro. Other options, cast or thirdly surgury. Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Concise Diagnosis

Robin on 6/30/99 at 00:00 (008394)

Hi Bea --

I'm not sure I understand what any of that diagnosis means. But I would support PT as non-invasive and probably therapeutic. I could be wrong, but I don't think I have seen one person on this board post about permanent benefit from a cast. Initial -- yeah, great. But generally people address a subsequent weakening when the cast is removed. Are you still taking SAM-e? Newsweek just did a super write-up about its use as an anti-depressant and also pain reliever-joint rebuilder for arthritis and related conditions. I'm still on glucosamine -- I think it helps a little. I threw myself on MSM for two months, but didn't notice any significant change or improvement so I figure -- why blow the cash. Am thinking about SAM-e based on some of the medical evidence Newsweek presents. Am concerned about the possible need for increasing of B vitamins while I take it, but that's another issue.

Good luck with PT, pal. Hope you experience some improvement fast. Let us know.

Re: Concise Diagnosis/Robin

Bea on 6/30/99 at 00:00 (008397)

Hi Robin- I am still taking glucosomine but not Sam-E. I have some pills but since I am taking Celebrex so I am afraid to take the Sam-E at this time. The Celebrex is allowing me to be able to move about but I am taking it on a ery limited basis. Once I'm off that I will try the Sam-E. The glucosomine helped at first but I'm not so sure about now. I am almost reconcilled to the fact that I will have some form of disability from now on but still will not have surgury. Even my doctor says it might help some but could do harm also. I am on in years so I guess I have to expect some limitations but hope to do better than I have been. Thanks for you interest.

Re: Concise Diagnosis

Robin on 6/30/99 at 00:00 (008394)

Hi Bea --

I'm not sure I understand what any of that diagnosis means. But I would support PT as non-invasive and probably therapeutic. I could be wrong, but I don't think I have seen one person on this board post about permanent benefit from a cast. Initial -- yeah, great. But generally people address a subsequent weakening when the cast is removed. Are you still taking SAM-e? Newsweek just did a super write-up about its use as an anti-depressant and also pain reliever-joint rebuilder for arthritis and related conditions. I'm still on glucosamine -- I think it helps a little. I threw myself on MSM for two months, but didn't notice any significant change or improvement so I figure -- why blow the cash. Am thinking about SAM-e based on some of the medical evidence Newsweek presents. Am concerned about the possible need for increasing of B vitamins while I take it, but that's another issue.

Good luck with PT, pal. Hope you experience some improvement fast. Let us know.

Re: Concise Diagnosis/Robin

Bea on 6/30/99 at 00:00 (008397)

Hi Robin- I am still taking glucosomine but not Sam-E. I have some pills but since I am taking Celebrex so I am afraid to take the Sam-E at this time. The Celebrex is allowing me to be able to move about but I am taking it on a ery limited basis. Once I'm off that I will try the Sam-E. The glucosomine helped at first but I'm not so sure about now. I am almost reconcilled to the fact that I will have some form of disability from now on but still will not have surgury. Even my doctor says it might help some but could do harm also. I am on in years so I guess I have to expect some limitations but hope to do better than I have been. Thanks for you interest.