Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm new! Accelerated shoe heel wear

Posted by Chris on 7/01/99 at 00:00 (008408)

Hi everyone,

I am another PF 'cripple' (it sure seems that way some days!) I am male, 34, and 100lbs overweight (NOT a good thing).

I don't notice mine so much in the morning. Mine strikes if I stand for longer than a couple minutes. Arrgghh! Miserable feet are a curse!

I have high arches, and I roll my heel to the outside when I walk (suponation?) One of the most frustrating (and expensive!) problems that I run into concerns how quickly I wear the heels on my shoes. My feet are *extremely* sensitive to heel wear. All it takes is about two weeks to cause an 1/8 inch of wear and my feet become crippled. I must buy new shoes to recover. Lately, I've been putting 'heel guards' on, and they help, but they still wear out.

I've been hearing good things about Birkenstock shoes. My concern is that they are expensive, and I can't afford to replace them every two weeks.

Any insights on my predicament?

May the force be with -- YOUR FEET! ;-)

Re: I'm new! Accelerated shoe heel wear

Diane F. on 7/01/99 at 00:00 (008412)

If you are wearing out the shoes that fast, your feet are not hitting the ground right (suponation?). The birks make your feet hit the ground corectly, at least mine. They put and support your feet the right way, and would not I think wear out the heels so fast. They would be cheaper then buying shoes every two weeks anyways. I had ankles that could flip right over and touch the ground and spring back up (ouchy!). Find that is a thing of the past, my ankle are straighter
and well supported, which is kind of weird in a simple birk sandal with no back on them. I would go to a birk store if you can, or a good fitting shoe store with them and try them around the store a bit and see what happens. Good Luck !

CrabbyAss2 on 7/01/99 at 00:00 (008424)

Chris, I think you should go and see a Dr. and have him make orthotics or some corrective shoes for this problem. I know it's outlandish the price of orthotics, but i would think it would be better, and in the long run cheaper, than buying new shoes every two months. A good pair of shoes, no matter what brand, is an expense to begin with, but buying a pair every two months is outrageous, i personally would be broke in a year. good luck and i hope you find a solution for your feet. Hurting here too- Marie

Chris on 7/01/99 at 00:00 (008429)

I do have custom fit orthotics. I have a problem wearing them, because although they do help with the PF, they cause injury in my fore foot area (fifth meta tarsal). They are too high in that area, and force my foot into an unnatural position.

Besides, even when I wore them regularly, my shoes still wore out at the same rate. And when the heels wore, my feet became injured whether I wore the orthotics or not.

Today I got some athletic tape, and tried taping my foot. It seems to be helping, but the tape stretches quite a bit, and loses some of its support.

There is a Red Wing shoe store around the corner from me that sells Birks. I will check them out tomorrow.

Later!

CrabbyAss2 on 7/02/99 at 00:00 (008440)

Chris, wow, don't know what to suggest now since you have orthotics other than you should perhaps take the orthotics back where you got them and have them re-adjust them so they don't hurt your feet. Or maybe you should try the birks, they are expensive but from my experience they have helped my pain somewhat. and with the birks you can have them fixed when you have a problem, i've seen places on the web where you can send them. ok for now, and good luck. Marie

Diane F. on 7/01/99 at 00:00 (008412)

If you are wearing out the shoes that fast, your feet are not hitting the ground right (suponation?). The birks make your feet hit the ground corectly, at least mine. They put and support your feet the right way, and would not I think wear out the heels so fast. They would be cheaper then buying shoes every two weeks anyways. I had ankles that could flip right over and touch the ground and spring back up (ouchy!). Find that is a thing of the past, my ankle are straighter
and well supported, which is kind of weird in a simple birk sandal with no back on them. I would go to a birk store if you can, or a good fitting shoe store with them and try them around the store a bit and see what happens. Good Luck !

CrabbyAss2 on 7/01/99 at 00:00 (008424)

Chris, I think you should go and see a Dr. and have him make orthotics or some corrective shoes for this problem. I know it's outlandish the price of orthotics, but i would think it would be better, and in the long run cheaper, than buying new shoes every two months. A good pair of shoes, no matter what brand, is an expense to begin with, but buying a pair every two months is outrageous, i personally would be broke in a year. good luck and i hope you find a solution for your feet. Hurting here too- Marie

Chris on 7/01/99 at 00:00 (008429)

I do have custom fit orthotics. I have a problem wearing them, because although they do help with the PF, they cause injury in my fore foot area (fifth meta tarsal). They are too high in that area, and force my foot into an unnatural position.

Besides, even when I wore them regularly, my shoes still wore out at the same rate. And when the heels wore, my feet became injured whether I wore the orthotics or not.

Today I got some athletic tape, and tried taping my foot. It seems to be helping, but the tape stretches quite a bit, and loses some of its support.

There is a Red Wing shoe store around the corner from me that sells Birks. I will check them out tomorrow.

Later!

CrabbyAss2 on 7/02/99 at 00:00 (008440)

Chris, wow, don't know what to suggest now since you have orthotics other than you should perhaps take the orthotics back where you got them and have them re-adjust them so they don't hurt your feet. Or maybe you should try the birks, they are expensive but from my experience they have helped my pain somewhat. and with the birks you can have them fixed when you have a problem, i've seen places on the web where you can send them. ok for now, and good luck. Marie