Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Injury causing PF

Posted by Barbara on 7/02/99 at 00:00 (008430)

I had a problem with PF after taking an African Dance class barefoot. It seemed to go away but I still suffered from pain upon waking or getting up from sitting for awhile. Then, while playing tennis, I reached up on my toes and felt a rip in my heal. In all the reading I have been doing, I haven't found a reference to a distinct injury, like tearing the tissue. Is this an aspect of PF, or is it likely that the rip I felt was the scar tissue from the previous problem?

Thanks for many insights. I just had no idea there were soooooo many people out there with 'policemen's' heals.

Re: Injury causing PF

Carol E. on 7/02/99 at 00:00 (008446)

Your injury definitely sounds like a PF injury. My foot is nearly healed but at times, like when I reach up real high to put something in a cupboard, or if I push in the clutch on my car after my husband has driven it and scooted the seat back---I can feel my PF on the verge of tearing just like you describe! You're right, not very many of us have stated specifically what we think may have caused our PF, but I think if you asked, there would be many similar answers from, gaining lots of weight in a relatively short time, standing on a ladder too long, jump starting a motorcycle, jumping up on a spade, hiking in bad shoes, etc. How about it people---what do you suspect caused your PF?

Karen on 7/02/99 at 00:00 (008449)

My p.t. and my pod both agree that my p.f. was caused by overuse of a stair climber. This overstretched my achilles which then caused the bone spurs to form. Exercise! Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

andi k on 7/02/99 at 00:00 (008458)

I remember approximately the time I got my pf. I was into very high impact step classes, running and the stairmaster. I did one of the three every day without fail. While in step class, I pulled my calf muscle. I couldn't finish the class and couldn't walk without pain. My big mistake was that in spite of that, I would NOT stop the exercise routine, so the next morning I was off doing one of those three. I just favored the injured leg and pounded on the healthy leg (left). Astonishingly enough, as soon as the pulled calf was better I remember being in step class and telling a friend, 'Can you believe, my calf finally is feeling no pain, but my heal on the opposite foot (left) is killing me.' I didn't stop there. I continued to pound on it. After a 7 mile run in a pair of beat up Nikes, I declared myself out of the marathon training group as I was giving up running. Later, I gave up step classes, stairmaster, spin classes, etc. I learned you must always listen to your body-do not work through the pain! It isn't worth it! Giving yourself a few days or weeks to recover from an injury may save you a lifetime of trying to recover from pf or some sort of injury you may get from favoring one side of your body. Good luck all!

Re: Injury causing PF, and THANKS Scott

Denise on 7/03/99 at 00:00 (008483)

Mine is caused by my job, I work in a children's shoe store, and I'm up and down on the floor and up and down 6 ft ladders 8 plus hours a day, that started it, then I jumped to keep from falling, from 3 feet up on a ladder (jumping beat falling). Doctor said I had a mild case till I jumped off the ladder. I'm just glad to have found this message board, reading through the messages are giving me ideas on things to try to help myself! Thanks Scott for having this page to try to help us all.

Renee on 7/03/99 at 00:00 (008489)

I developed PF 3 years ago while working as a professional chef/caterer. I have been in the food business for 16 years and never had a problem until 3 years ago. I was on my feet 13-16 hours a day at times, overseeing receptions, luncheons, etc. I didn't realize bad shoes with no support would cause such pain!! Now I have given up the job I love because I can't stand to be on my feet that long anymore!! Maybe the Dr.s will find a cure someday and we can all lead normal lives again!!

Gina on 7/03/99 at 00:00 (008490)

The first time I had PF it seemed to be triggered by overuse of a stairmaster machine. This is my second go-round with it (now into the 3rd year, but very gradual improvement). This time, using a treadmill triggered it, although I wouldn't consider it overuse--3/4 times a week for 45 minutes. But I guess it was too much for my flat feet!

Lynda on 7/07/99 at 00:00 (008556)

Mine definitely was from high-impact aerobics. Decided I needed some exercise as I sit all day at a computer. I was able to do aerobics with no problem for about 3-4 years and then all of a sudden my feet said 'NO MORE!' Everything I tried including surgery was of no help. Most relief now comes from 'sitting at my computer' and not using them. I have found a couple of medications that help about 75% but obviously no longer do aerobics.

Carol E. on 7/02/99 at 00:00 (008446)

Your injury definitely sounds like a PF injury. My foot is nearly healed but at times, like when I reach up real high to put something in a cupboard, or if I push in the clutch on my car after my husband has driven it and scooted the seat back---I can feel my PF on the verge of tearing just like you describe! You're right, not very many of us have stated specifically what we think may have caused our PF, but I think if you asked, there would be many similar answers from, gaining lots of weight in a relatively short time, standing on a ladder too long, jump starting a motorcycle, jumping up on a spade, hiking in bad shoes, etc. How about it people---what do you suspect caused your PF?

Karen on 7/02/99 at 00:00 (008449)

My p.t. and my pod both agree that my p.f. was caused by overuse of a stair climber. This overstretched my achilles which then caused the bone spurs to form. Exercise! Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

andi k on 7/02/99 at 00:00 (008458)

I remember approximately the time I got my pf. I was into very high impact step classes, running and the stairmaster. I did one of the three every day without fail. While in step class, I pulled my calf muscle. I couldn't finish the class and couldn't walk without pain. My big mistake was that in spite of that, I would NOT stop the exercise routine, so the next morning I was off doing one of those three. I just favored the injured leg and pounded on the healthy leg (left). Astonishingly enough, as soon as the pulled calf was better I remember being in step class and telling a friend, 'Can you believe, my calf finally is feeling no pain, but my heal on the opposite foot (left) is killing me.' I didn't stop there. I continued to pound on it. After a 7 mile run in a pair of beat up Nikes, I declared myself out of the marathon training group as I was giving up running. Later, I gave up step classes, stairmaster, spin classes, etc. I learned you must always listen to your body-do not work through the pain! It isn't worth it! Giving yourself a few days or weeks to recover from an injury may save you a lifetime of trying to recover from pf or some sort of injury you may get from favoring one side of your body. Good luck all!

Denise on 7/03/99 at 00:00 (008483)

Mine is caused by my job, I work in a children's shoe store, and I'm up and down on the floor and up and down 6 ft ladders 8 plus hours a day, that started it, then I jumped to keep from falling, from 3 feet up on a ladder (jumping beat falling). Doctor said I had a mild case till I jumped off the ladder. I'm just glad to have found this message board, reading through the messages are giving me ideas on things to try to help myself! Thanks Scott for having this page to try to help us all.

Renee on 7/03/99 at 00:00 (008489)

I developed PF 3 years ago while working as a professional chef/caterer. I have been in the food business for 16 years and never had a problem until 3 years ago. I was on my feet 13-16 hours a day at times, overseeing receptions, luncheons, etc. I didn't realize bad shoes with no support would cause such pain!! Now I have given up the job I love because I can't stand to be on my feet that long anymore!! Maybe the Dr.s will find a cure someday and we can all lead normal lives again!!

Gina on 7/03/99 at 00:00 (008490)

The first time I had PF it seemed to be triggered by overuse of a stairmaster machine. This is my second go-round with it (now into the 3rd year, but very gradual improvement). This time, using a treadmill triggered it, although I wouldn't consider it overuse--3/4 times a week for 45 minutes. But I guess it was too much for my flat feet!

Lynda on 7/07/99 at 00:00 (008556)

Mine definitely was from high-impact aerobics. Decided I needed some exercise as I sit all day at a computer. I was able to do aerobics with no problem for about 3-4 years and then all of a sudden my feet said 'NO MORE!' Everything I tried including surgery was of no help. Most relief now comes from 'sitting at my computer' and not using them. I have found a couple of medications that help about 75% but obviously no longer do aerobics.