Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Morton's Neuroma

Posted by Scott on 7/03/99 at 00:00 (008474)

A morton's neuroma is caused by a naturally short 2nd metatarsal head (as shown by calluses under the 2nd and 3rd heads as apposed to the 1st head at base of big toe) and/or a falling of the arch and causes pain in the ball of the foot. Rheumatoid arthritis may also be the cause. I have a book that says there will be pain if you press your thumb into a specific area of the ball (between the 3rd and 4th metatarsal heads?). in the later stages, it feels as if a pebble is in the foot and it may cause tingling or burning in the ball or up in the toes. If an orthotic to support the arch doesn't work, surgery 'often brings complete relief.' Try different shoes and inserts. Surgery in the ball of the foot to remove a lump of tissues seems safer than some types of heel surgery. But if there's something in the diet that's causing arthritis, that should be corrected before more neuromas pop up. missed keywords for future searches: morton mortons

Re: Morton's Neuroma To Scott

Lori on 7/09/99 at 00:00 (008599)

Hi Scott! It's been over 6 weeks since my surgery. 4 days ago, they started ultrasound and electric stimulation (PT) to continue for 2 weeks. HOWEVER, in the past 2 days, when I've walked barefoot on the floor, I've 'felt' like there's a 'bump' on the ball of my foot. When I have my shoes and orthodics in, I can't feel it. When I've pressed on the area, it feels like one of my toe bones and doesn't hurt or anything. Could it be a neuroma? Is this the result of the surgery? Could it be the toe bones because of the way I'm walking?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Lori in AZ

Scott on 7/10/99 at 00:00 (008608)

Lori,
Since I've never seen a Morton's neuroma and only read about it in books, and since I don't know many other things about your condition, and since I don't know what other conditions can mimic Morton's neuroma, I can't say you have it. However, it sounds like you might have it, but you already knew that.

Lori on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008632)

Scott, the weird thing is that after I read all about the neuroma, I decided to start icing the ball of my foot each night with the heels of both feet. Now the 'bump' isn't there? Weird! Well, I'll see the Dr. on Mon or Tues and will find out what's going on. Thanks!
Lori in AZ

Lori on 7/09/99 at 00:00 (008599)

Hi Scott! It's been over 6 weeks since my surgery. 4 days ago, they started ultrasound and electric stimulation (PT) to continue for 2 weeks. HOWEVER, in the past 2 days, when I've walked barefoot on the floor, I've 'felt' like there's a 'bump' on the ball of my foot. When I have my shoes and orthodics in, I can't feel it. When I've pressed on the area, it feels like one of my toe bones and doesn't hurt or anything. Could it be a neuroma? Is this the result of the surgery? Could it be the toe bones because of the way I'm walking?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Lori in AZ

Scott on 7/10/99 at 00:00 (008608)

Lori,
Since I've never seen a Morton's neuroma and only read about it in books, and since I don't know many other things about your condition, and since I don't know what other conditions can mimic Morton's neuroma, I can't say you have it. However, it sounds like you might have it, but you already knew that.

Lori on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008632)

Scott, the weird thing is that after I read all about the neuroma, I decided to start icing the ball of my foot each night with the heels of both feet. Now the 'bump' isn't there? Weird! Well, I'll see the Dr. on Mon or Tues and will find out what's going on. Thanks!
Lori in AZ