Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Magnets

Posted by Scott on 7/04/99 at 00:00 (008511)

I bought two packages of ' rare earth' magnets from radio shack. They are very small and thin. There are two magnets in each package. I placed them in a square about the size of a quarter on duct tape and tape them to my painful area. I guess it will take awhile before I can see if there are any results.

I have a good theory about how the magnets might work that may mean they are a good treatment. Red blood cells actually orient themselves in a magnetic field. I came across this factoid while reading about other things and not from someone who sells magnets. So I suppose they can line up in a manner that allows them to flow more easily through small blood vessels. This would improve healing. Other theories about the magnets suggest they decrease the pain by doing something with the nerves. This is hopefully not the way the magnets work(if they do work) because it may improve pain but not the underlying cause.

Re: Magnets

paige on 12/18/98 at 00:00 (002744)

I have wondered about magnets too. A friend of mine sells the magnet insoles to put in your shoes. I tried them one day for a few hours, but with my arch support it made my shoe too small. I am curious if anyone has received benefits from them. My friend that sells them swears by them. She had hip repacement surgery last year and still had pain after the surgery. She says that the magnets have relieved all her pain.

kelus on 12/18/98 at 00:00 (002748)

Hi!

I tried my magnet insoles today, and I swear I already feel a slight difference....like you it may be wishful thinking....

Good luck...Kelus

debbie on 12/21/98 at 00:00 (002775)

I tried them for a week from a co. that sells them and lets you borrow them to try before you buy. the ones you buy in the stores are no more powerful that a refrigerator magnet I am told. Anyway, they did not help me. Next I did acupuncture and consider myself cured.

kelus on 12/21/98 at 00:00 (002778)

well I guess I jumped the gun. The magnets really didn't help that much...and I will never know now, because they started to stink
!
The magnets are in an insole type thing that is plastic.
After 3 days of wearing them, they started smelling like mildew.

OH WELL...I am thinking about that joint manipulation thing. Think I will try that next.

merry christmas everyone, kelus

Bea on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008516)

I ose magnets for pain & find it sucessful but they don't cure anything. I was told by my accupuncturist to have the magnets opposite each other so the energy goes through. I have a band of material with magnets encased & i can put them in any position I want. There is also a velcro strip so I can wind around the foot and ssecure it. Unfortunately I can't remember where I bought this thing but it was a mail order company with all kinds of gadgets connected with health. I have found it very useful because I don't have to take medication when the pain really kicks in.

Bea on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008516)

I ose magnets for pain & find it sucessful but they don't cure anything. I was told by my accupuncturist to have the magnets opposite each other so the energy goes through. I have a band of material with magnets encased & i can put them in any position I want. There is also a velcro strip so I can wind around the foot and ssecure it. Unfortunately I can't remember where I bought this thing but it was a mail order company with all kinds of gadgets connected with health. I have found it very useful because I don't have to take medication when the pain really kicks in.