Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

acetic acid iontophoresis as PF cure?

Posted by Sage Sweetwood on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008517)

After 12 years of wearing custom orthotics, my heel pain has gotten progressively worse over the last year. As the pain increased, so did by search for solutions.

There was one therapy that i found on the internet. In J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1999 May:89(5):251-7, they talk about acetic acid iontophoresis being extremely effective. Do you have any input on this? [ I found this with a Med-Line search]

Re: acetic acid iontophoresis as PF cure?

Gina on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008520)

I had approximately 9 treatments using acetic acid iontophoresis about a year ago. This was followed by a series of ionto. using cortisone. Neither series of treatments was very effective, producing only slight relief which did not last. For me, this definitely wasn't a cure. Sorry--please don't shoot the messenger!

Sarah on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008521)

I had about 4 treatments of what my physical therapist called ionto in which they used a topical cortisone cream and electrical currents to stimulate it into my heel. Insurance did not cover this and it cost between $75-100 per treatment. I did not get much relief with this, and what I did get was temporary. I know wish I had spent that money on a good massage therapist for my foot! Sorry, but at least it might save you $. Sarah

andi k on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008524)

I also had iontophoresis in the spring. I got the treatments from my PT. I went 3x/week for about 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I did not have any relief from these treatments either. My insurance did cover this however. It was worth a shot-anything is! Good luck.

Mary Ann on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008525)

I had iontopheresis with dexamethasone liquid(a steroid). I had it 3x a week for a total of 9 treatments. It did not help at all.

Gina on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008520)

I had approximately 9 treatments using acetic acid iontophoresis about a year ago. This was followed by a series of ionto. using cortisone. Neither series of treatments was very effective, producing only slight relief which did not last. For me, this definitely wasn't a cure. Sorry--please don't shoot the messenger!

Sarah on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008521)

I had about 4 treatments of what my physical therapist called ionto in which they used a topical cortisone cream and electrical currents to stimulate it into my heel. Insurance did not cover this and it cost between $75-100 per treatment. I did not get much relief with this, and what I did get was temporary. I know wish I had spent that money on a good massage therapist for my foot! Sorry, but at least it might save you $. Sarah

andi k on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008524)

I also had iontophoresis in the spring. I got the treatments from my PT. I went 3x/week for about 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I did not have any relief from these treatments either. My insurance did cover this however. It was worth a shot-anything is! Good luck.

Mary Ann on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008525)

I had iontopheresis with dexamethasone liquid(a steroid). I had it 3x a week for a total of 9 treatments. It did not help at all.