Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics

Posted by John H on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008527)

I injured my right heel running for the metro in D.C.
My podiatrist gave me a shot which relieved the pain.
When he did the mold for my orthotics, he had me
lay on the table, stomach down, and he got the impression
of my feet in it's natural position without weight.
So far so good.
Only occasional sensations in my heel, but not painful.
It makes sense to me to get the natural foot impression.
Other techniques seem to have the person stand in the
clay for an impression. It never made much sense to me
to get an impression of my flat foot.

Re: Orthotics

Linda on 3/09/99 at 00:00 (005391)

well, I too was diagnosed recently with the same thing, my doctor wanted me to buy new gym shoes with good arch support too.
Well, make sure you look at all the information on this message board and look at other sites too, because there is more to find out.

Birkinstock sells a suport for shoes and there are some inserts that are made soft and some hard, it depends on your feet though.

I have tried the birkinstock sandals and my feet do feel so much better, but somedays I do use my gymshoes with support (the hard ones) it varies with everyone and check out birkinstock sales on the net. do your exercise too for the feet. I am 31 yrs of age, and this is no fun
! Linda

Lyndel on 3/10/99 at 00:00 (005437)

Ding,

Did you get the name 'ding' from the clancy books? :~) Anyway, I have the orthotics and they work pretty well. I still get sore feet but I cant stand much in shoes without them. At home I go barefoot on the carpet and it feels good but in shoes I have to have my orthos. Mine cost $375

They are bloody expensive. They are the plastic sport type (the best) and are from the heel forward to the mid section of your foot just behind the ball of your foot. They let you wear any shoe you want. Don't get the over the counter inserts. They are not hard enough to support your arch and break down fast. I keep hearing such good things about birks but living here in Montana where temps hit 30 to 50 below zero in winter it's kinda hard to wear sandals. Plus, being the type that likes to wear western garb, geeky hippy sandals just dont cut it. I'm gonna look into ordering their inserts and try them.

Good luck

Lyndel

Bob on 11/07/98 at 22:40 (002087)

Cynthia,

I have been having trouble for 9 months now, no one could tell me what was wrong. I finally was diagnosed with this and have orthotics now for 4 weeks some days their fine, but mostly have seen little improvement, but I must say I'm on my feet all day long. Hope to see more improvement as I adjust. Good Luck.

John on 12/11/98 at 00:00 (002630)

Bill, since I have just gone thru the breakin process on some custom orthotics, I completely understand your concern. I have a pair of custom orthotics that my POD prescribed. I was told to start out wearing them 2 hours per day and slowly work up. It took me over a month to get where I could wear them all day. They caused me pain in the center of my heal. I thought they were too hard. They were not nearly as confortable as my over the counter orthotics. Now, I think they are doing well. My pain level has greatly diminished now that I am wearing them all of the time. If you look around in this web site, you will find a lot of references to Birkenstock shoes. There are also a lot of people that say they take a fairly long breakin period. I think that you would do well to have patience. Give them some breakin time. I believe it will be worth it to you. Good luck.

Bea on 12/11/98 at 00:00 (002634)

Curing is a word we sufferers do not have the privledge of using. You do the best you can and hope the pain will lessen and even die down. I have had orthotics for many years & ocassionally my heel hurts terribly with them. I then use a foam heel cushion & it seems to help. Good Luck.

laurie on 12/11/98 at 00:00 (002639)

yeah, i thought my 350 dollar orthodics would the ticket. i do wear them all day but my feet hurt so much from them (the heel) that i can hardly wait to take my shoes off! and taking my shoes off is a no no.. hard to know what to do ... bea and john render good thoughts.. :)

nice to have others here to talk to about our feet.. this place has somehow become a lifesaver for me.

take care & heal up! :)

laurie

Kristin on 12/12/98 at 00:00 (002646)

I have custom orthotics mainly because I pronate. Running and not having the orthotics caused my case of PF. I like my orthotics and believe they feel better on my heel when I'm wearing them. Be patient with breaking them in, it does take awhile and wearing them just a little bit longer each day will help. Good luck.

Kris on 5/29/99 at 00:00 (007305)

My orthotics have helped me more than anything. THe insurance covered it . They just needed a letter of medical necessity from my Dr. Good Luck!!

Lola on 5/29/99 at 00:00 (007308)

My orthotics were $425. My insurance covered all by $1.25. Go figure. I have Blue-Cross/Blue Shied (state).

Mohez on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007342)

Orthotics have helped me to an extent, they are mostly hit and miss, I
have approx 10 pairs. All kinds, rigid, semi rigid, flexible etc etc.
The ones that have helped me the most are ones with metarsal rises.
The ones i feel best in are made by The Orthotic Works 1-800-663-2550.
I am in Canada, but I am pretty sure that is a US number. I would also
try the night splint. My is by Corflex, but Orthomerica makes a good
one. Good luck

Mohez

Sarah on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007349)

I have had much success with orthodics. My feet got so bad (I thought I had just gained too much weight and finally went to the Dr. and discovered plantar f./heelspurs) that I woke up one morning and couldn't stand on them without holding onto the wall. My Dr. cut me a deal since insurance didn't cover then (his full price was around $185, I paid around $100). I don't know who you are going to but he/she is ripping you off. I will also add that I ended up having physical therapy (which involved ultrasound stretching exercises, ice foot baths, and the like) and cortisone shots. This combination of treatment has gotten things under control. The key is to stretch properly, ice after exercise, and where your orthodics all the time. Never go barefoot! What a difference this has made.

troy on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007357)

If you want orthotics go too a shoe repair shop. Believe it or not my shoe shop charges me $75.00 for any pair of them. Look in too it>

Linda on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007533)

I had to get orthotics last winter. They are the soft plyable type that do bend with your foot. The podiatrist wanted to put those hard plastic type in my shoes. Insurance would only cover thru their contracted lab. So I went there. I love them. When my back is not giving me alot of problems, I can certainly walk with my orthotics. It depends on what your priorities are.

Good Luck!!

Lori on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007594)

Judy,
Orthotics have been a life-saver for me. Although I eventually went with the surgery last week, I can't live without the orthotics. I paid $325 out of my own pocket as insurance wouldn't pay. They have been worth every penny. I recommend that you get them.
Lori in AZ

Linda on 3/09/99 at 00:00 (005391)

well, I too was diagnosed recently with the same thing, my doctor wanted me to buy new gym shoes with good arch support too.
Well, make sure you look at all the information on this message board and look at other sites too, because there is more to find out.

Birkinstock sells a suport for shoes and there are some inserts that are made soft and some hard, it depends on your feet though.

I have tried the birkinstock sandals and my feet do feel so much better, but somedays I do use my gymshoes with support (the hard ones) it varies with everyone and check out birkinstock sales on the net. do your exercise too for the feet. I am 31 yrs of age, and this is no fun
! Linda

Lyndel on 3/10/99 at 00:00 (005437)

Ding,

Did you get the name 'ding' from the clancy books? :~) Anyway, I have the orthotics and they work pretty well. I still get sore feet but I cant stand much in shoes without them. At home I go barefoot on the carpet and it feels good but in shoes I have to have my orthos. Mine cost $375

They are bloody expensive. They are the plastic sport type (the best) and are from the heel forward to the mid section of your foot just behind the ball of your foot. They let you wear any shoe you want. Don't get the over the counter inserts. They are not hard enough to support your arch and break down fast. I keep hearing such good things about birks but living here in Montana where temps hit 30 to 50 below zero in winter it's kinda hard to wear sandals. Plus, being the type that likes to wear western garb, geeky hippy sandals just dont cut it. I'm gonna look into ordering their inserts and try them.

Good luck

Lyndel

Kris on 5/29/99 at 00:00 (007305)

My orthotics have helped me more than anything. THe insurance covered it . They just needed a letter of medical necessity from my Dr. Good Luck!!

Lola on 5/29/99 at 00:00 (007308)

My orthotics were $425. My insurance covered all by $1.25. Go figure. I have Blue-Cross/Blue Shied (state).

Mohez on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007342)

Orthotics have helped me to an extent, they are mostly hit and miss, I
have approx 10 pairs. All kinds, rigid, semi rigid, flexible etc etc.
The ones that have helped me the most are ones with metarsal rises.
The ones i feel best in are made by The Orthotic Works 1-800-663-2550.
I am in Canada, but I am pretty sure that is a US number. I would also
try the night splint. My is by Corflex, but Orthomerica makes a good
one. Good luck

Mohez

Sarah on 5/30/99 at 00:00 (007349)

I have had much success with orthodics. My feet got so bad (I thought I had just gained too much weight and finally went to the Dr. and discovered plantar f./heelspurs) that I woke up one morning and couldn't stand on them without holding onto the wall. My Dr. cut me a deal since insurance didn't cover then (his full price was around $185, I paid around $100). I don't know who you are going to but he/she is ripping you off. I will also add that I ended up having physical therapy (which involved ultrasound stretching exercises, ice foot baths, and the like) and cortisone shots. This combination of treatment has gotten things under control. The key is to stretch properly, ice after exercise, and where your orthodics all the time. Never go barefoot! What a difference this has made.

troy on 5/31/99 at 00:00 (007357)

If you want orthotics go too a shoe repair shop. Believe it or not my shoe shop charges me $75.00 for any pair of them. Look in too it>

Linda on 6/02/99 at 00:00 (007533)

I had to get orthotics last winter. They are the soft plyable type that do bend with your foot. The podiatrist wanted to put those hard plastic type in my shoes. Insurance would only cover thru their contracted lab. So I went there. I love them. When my back is not giving me alot of problems, I can certainly walk with my orthotics. It depends on what your priorities are.

Good Luck!!

Lori on 6/03/99 at 00:00 (007594)

Judy,
Orthotics have been a life-saver for me. Although I eventually went with the surgery last week, I can't live without the orthotics. I paid $325 out of my own pocket as insurance wouldn't pay. They have been worth every penny. I recommend that you get them.
Lori in AZ