Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Posted by Wendy on 7/05/99 at 00:00 (008530)

Found this bulletin board fascinating - amazing to find out there are SO many people out there going through the same thing. I've had PF (two fairly bad episodes) and it appears I developed TTS about 8 months ago. I am waiting to get in to a neurosurgeon for the testing, and I've beeen able to control the pain with ice water, orthotics and absolutely minimal acivity (I don't walk farther than two blocks - VERY SLOWLY) and I only walk that far to get to the pool. I wear my orthotics all the time (not in the shower yet). I am quite interested in hearing from anyone who has experience or information on this condition.

Re: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Cindy on 6/25/98 at 14:14 (000839)

Hi, I'm sending you an e-mail re: my experience with TTS. I don't know if everyone on this page wants to read about TTS - I think only a small # of us have it - but, it does seem to go hand in hand with pf. There are several people who write into this page that have had the surgery. And, lots of info. on Yahoo re: TTS, and even the surgery.

Cindy on 6/26/98 at 16:42 (000854)

Hi, I found the web page I told you about, which discusses tts and the surgery, and shows a graphic of one type of the surgery: http://www.sechrest.com/mmg/foot anatomy

Check it out, its pretty interesting!

Cindy on 6/26/98 at 16:50 (000856)

Oops: The web page is wrong in my first message (these computers are so fussy). Here's the real address: http://www.sechrest.com/mmg/foot/anatomy

I left out the / between foot and anatomy. Sorry

Cindy on 6/26/98 at 19:00 (000859)

I found a web cite that is a paper by some drs. on the success/failure rate of surgery for Tarsal tunnel problems: http://www.medmedia.com/ju9/18.htm
The news is not good: 44% excellent result; 38% poor result; 19% fair result.

Sarah on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008544)

CAn you tell me about the pain? I am wondering if I might be experiencing this also...Where do you hurt, etc.

Wendy on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008548)

Keep in mind that it seems that the pain is not the same for everyone, and in many cases - the pain is not always the same. In my case it started with a generalized pain from my ankle down to the arch of my foot. The pain would shoot into my toes (usually the middle ones, sometimes the big toe). My foot swells and sometimes it feels like there's a rubber band tied too tight around my ankle. For the most part now (8 months later), the pain is localized along the inside of my ankle and bottom of my foot. The best way I can describe it is 'searing' or like there is a hot poker pushed up through the bottom of my foot into my leg. Nasty stuff. Very different than PF which I have had before. The pain can be bad at night - but it's definately aggravated by activity. When it's bad my toes or whole foot just goes numb. It isn't worse when you first start walking on it like PF is.

Jill on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008734)

I have pf in right foot, left only had pain once in awhile. Now I have a new pain in my left foot different then pf. It feels like what you said a tight ruberband running along the bottom of my foot. Then sometimes it seems to heet up in one spot all of the sudden. It drives me crazy everynight when I try to go to sleep. Tought I was just going crazy. Now I wonder if I have Tarsal Tunnel. Is treatment different then pf? I can't believe this is happening my feet just seem to be falling apart. But sometimes I wonder if it is all in my head.

Wendy2 on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008752)

I think treatment (initially) is the same - rest, ice, orthotics and anti-inflammitories if you can take them. I am going to try new orthotics (have had mine 2 years and thought they were okay till I started having trouble in November.) I am also waiting for nerve conduction testing that MAY help determine if I have TTS. Unfortunately, I have been told that it's possible to have TTS but a negative nerve test. If all else fails a surgical release of the nerve is the last resort, but I've read mixed reviews on how succesful this is. I keep hoping I will get this under control myself but I haven't had much luck. (The pain is different from PF in that it spreads up on the inside of your ankle behind the bone instead of staying more on the bottom of your foot.)

John on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008850)

i have been struggling with what has been diagnosed by 4 doctors as PF. today i had a nerve conduction test on both feet which indicated mild nerve entrapment. my pain is primarily just forward of the heel in the area of the arch and is a burning pain. aggrivated by walking or standing. goes away generally when i go to bed. i have never had the classic PF symptoms of early morning pain nor can i press on any spot on my heel or bottom of my foot and reproduce pain.tried all the PF treatments for 5 years. will talk to my doctor later this week and may opt for surgery which is not unlike the surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Sarah on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008544)

CAn you tell me about the pain? I am wondering if I might be experiencing this also...Where do you hurt, etc.

Wendy on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008548)

Keep in mind that it seems that the pain is not the same for everyone, and in many cases - the pain is not always the same. In my case it started with a generalized pain from my ankle down to the arch of my foot. The pain would shoot into my toes (usually the middle ones, sometimes the big toe). My foot swells and sometimes it feels like there's a rubber band tied too tight around my ankle. For the most part now (8 months later), the pain is localized along the inside of my ankle and bottom of my foot. The best way I can describe it is 'searing' or like there is a hot poker pushed up through the bottom of my foot into my leg. Nasty stuff. Very different than PF which I have had before. The pain can be bad at night - but it's definately aggravated by activity. When it's bad my toes or whole foot just goes numb. It isn't worse when you first start walking on it like PF is.

Jill on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008734)

I have pf in right foot, left only had pain once in awhile. Now I have a new pain in my left foot different then pf. It feels like what you said a tight ruberband running along the bottom of my foot. Then sometimes it seems to heet up in one spot all of the sudden. It drives me crazy everynight when I try to go to sleep. Tought I was just going crazy. Now I wonder if I have Tarsal Tunnel. Is treatment different then pf? I can't believe this is happening my feet just seem to be falling apart. But sometimes I wonder if it is all in my head.

Wendy2 on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008752)

I think treatment (initially) is the same - rest, ice, orthotics and anti-inflammitories if you can take them. I am going to try new orthotics (have had mine 2 years and thought they were okay till I started having trouble in November.) I am also waiting for nerve conduction testing that MAY help determine if I have TTS. Unfortunately, I have been told that it's possible to have TTS but a negative nerve test. If all else fails a surgical release of the nerve is the last resort, but I've read mixed reviews on how succesful this is. I keep hoping I will get this under control myself but I haven't had much luck. (The pain is different from PF in that it spreads up on the inside of your ankle behind the bone instead of staying more on the bottom of your foot.)

John on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008850)

i have been struggling with what has been diagnosed by 4 doctors as PF. today i had a nerve conduction test on both feet which indicated mild nerve entrapment. my pain is primarily just forward of the heel in the area of the arch and is a burning pain. aggrivated by walking or standing. goes away generally when i go to bed. i have never had the classic PF symptoms of early morning pain nor can i press on any spot on my heel or bottom of my foot and reproduce pain.tried all the PF treatments for 5 years. will talk to my doctor later this week and may opt for surgery which is not unlike the surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.