Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

physical therapy

Posted by Phyl on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008539)

Just returned from my first therapy session. My foot hurt more when it was done. I really don't notice any difference. I was hoping I would. How long should I wait to expect any relief.?? I had the electro - therapy.

Re: physical therapy

Jill on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008545)

I just finished three sessions. My feet seemed a little better right after the sessions but they seem worse then they were before later each day. I think the only good was the ibuprofen cream they used with the electro therapy.

I called doc today to ask for prescription. His asst. left me message that there was no such thing. I'll be bringing him a print-out tomorrow.

Good Luck

Paula on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008546)

Sorry to disappoint you but I had one month of physical therapy and I stopped it on my own when I realized that not only did I have no relief, but the therapist 'killed' me everytime she pushed on the bottom of my foot to stretch the ligament. I too had electro-stimulation and ultrasound along with alot of exercises. My therapy was before my surgery and I feel that it was the surgery that finally relieved my pain. I did have post-op pain and thought for a while that it was not worth it, but I have since recovered. It's been five months post-op. I don't know if you are considering surgery or where you are in treatment but here's the order of events for me.....Examination/muscle relaxers/cortizone shots/more cortizone shots/even more cortizone shots/new muscle relaxers/more cortizone/orthotics prescribed/physical therapy/soft cast/hard cast/surgery.

Good luck to you.

Re: physical therapy-Jill

Bea on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008549)

You don't need a prescription for Ibuprofen creme. Can be purchased from Life Extension Foundation, 995 S.W. 24 Street, Fort Lauderdqle, Fl. 33315, 1-800-841-5433 They are on the web but I don't have their url. Cost for 100 gr. tube is 28.50 Including postage. I get relief from the pain with the cream. Good Luck.

Sarah on 7/07/99 at 00:00 (008552)

Phyl, be patient. Success with physical therapy didn't come over night for me. When I went in, I was probably an 8 or 9 on the pain scale in my right foot. My left foot, while affected too, improved dramatically after one shot, so my therapy was focused on my right foot. Sometimes my feet hurt more right after I left, but over the long term, the stretching and whirlpool ect... improved the flexibility of my foot. I wasn't walking heel to toe when I went in and I was walking down the steps one at a time rather than a fluid left foot, right foot rhythmn. When I left, I was walking heel to toe and I was about a 4-5 on the pain scale. My doctor then gave me another cortisone shot in the right foot and now my pain will be anywhere from a 1-3 depending on the day's activities and how well I am babying my feet (ice, stretching). During physical therapy and foir about 4 weeks after my last shot I stopped all tennis and distance walking. Then, I added beack gradually. Hang in there, follow their advice, and baby your feet. It took me from January to the start of March to feel great improvements with physical therapy. Good Luck!

Michelle on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008584)

I went to physical therapy for 8 weeks. My right foot improved in about 3-4 weeks but my left foot stayed the same. By the 7th week there was finally some improvement in the left foot and the 8th week I had no pain. That was in January and I went 10 days pain free and now I live in pain everyday. I would love to continue physical therapy but my insurance don't cover much and I can't afford to pay the rest. The first week of therapy was HELL for me. My feet hurt so bad, that some days I had a hard time walking. Stick with it if you can make it through the first week. It did help me for a while. Good Luck!!!!

Jill on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008545)

I just finished three sessions. My feet seemed a little better right after the sessions but they seem worse then they were before later each day. I think the only good was the ibuprofen cream they used with the electro therapy.

I called doc today to ask for prescription. His asst. left me message that there was no such thing. I'll be bringing him a print-out tomorrow.

Good Luck

Paula on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008546)

Sorry to disappoint you but I had one month of physical therapy and I stopped it on my own when I realized that not only did I have no relief, but the therapist 'killed' me everytime she pushed on the bottom of my foot to stretch the ligament. I too had electro-stimulation and ultrasound along with alot of exercises. My therapy was before my surgery and I feel that it was the surgery that finally relieved my pain. I did have post-op pain and thought for a while that it was not worth it, but I have since recovered. It's been five months post-op. I don't know if you are considering surgery or where you are in treatment but here's the order of events for me.....Examination/muscle relaxers/cortizone shots/more cortizone shots/even more cortizone shots/new muscle relaxers/more cortizone/orthotics prescribed/physical therapy/soft cast/hard cast/surgery.

Good luck to you.

Re: physical therapy-Jill

Bea on 7/06/99 at 00:00 (008549)

You don't need a prescription for Ibuprofen creme. Can be purchased from Life Extension Foundation, 995 S.W. 24 Street, Fort Lauderdqle, Fl. 33315, 1-800-841-5433 They are on the web but I don't have their url. Cost for 100 gr. tube is 28.50 Including postage. I get relief from the pain with the cream. Good Luck.

Sarah on 7/07/99 at 00:00 (008552)

Phyl, be patient. Success with physical therapy didn't come over night for me. When I went in, I was probably an 8 or 9 on the pain scale in my right foot. My left foot, while affected too, improved dramatically after one shot, so my therapy was focused on my right foot. Sometimes my feet hurt more right after I left, but over the long term, the stretching and whirlpool ect... improved the flexibility of my foot. I wasn't walking heel to toe when I went in and I was walking down the steps one at a time rather than a fluid left foot, right foot rhythmn. When I left, I was walking heel to toe and I was about a 4-5 on the pain scale. My doctor then gave me another cortisone shot in the right foot and now my pain will be anywhere from a 1-3 depending on the day's activities and how well I am babying my feet (ice, stretching). During physical therapy and foir about 4 weeks after my last shot I stopped all tennis and distance walking. Then, I added beack gradually. Hang in there, follow their advice, and baby your feet. It took me from January to the start of March to feel great improvements with physical therapy. Good Luck!

Michelle on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008584)

I went to physical therapy for 8 weeks. My right foot improved in about 3-4 weeks but my left foot stayed the same. By the 7th week there was finally some improvement in the left foot and the 8th week I had no pain. That was in January and I went 10 days pain free and now I live in pain everyday. I would love to continue physical therapy but my insurance don't cover much and I can't afford to pay the rest. The first week of therapy was HELL for me. My feet hurt so bad, that some days I had a hard time walking. Stick with it if you can make it through the first week. It did help me for a while. Good Luck!!!!