Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pf affecting legs to hips

Posted by maryg on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008566)

its been awhile since i have come to this site. still have the problem even after third time with physical therapy. pf is only getting worse, now affecting my entire legs all the way up to my hips. anyone else have this problem, would like to hear about it, and what you are doing. my pod. has been insisting i go for the surgery. i am really scared, i am a nurse and afraid i won't be able to work anymore. i very desperate and really need some advise, so i hope someone will respond.
thanks for listening, sorry if this is to long.

Re: pf affecting legs to hips

Wendy on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008578)

I don't know that PF can affect your legs and hips - but I do know that if you've changed the way you walk (from limping and trying to walk without causing pain) it will most likely cause pain in your legs, hips and back. I would suspect it's an unfortunate problem that goes along with foot pain.

Ann on 7/10/99 at 00:00 (008604)

I had surgery on my left foot in March. My foot seems to be better. I do still suffer with some pain but I truly believe it is getting better. My biggest problem is the pain in my left ankle and up to my hips in both my legs. I am sure it has something to do with compensating my walk. My doctor said that orthotics would help that. I got them but don't use them that often because the athletic shoes are so hot in the summer. I have been wearing a sandal type shoe with a good arch and toe molds that are comfortable. I am so stiff and my legs and hips hurt so bad when I get up from sitting for awhile or if I walk for awhile. Is this what you are experiencing? Have you talked to your doctor about this?

joan on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008646)

i have found that i get all sorts of strange little pains/stresses from not wearing my orthotics--most certainly a compensatory gait pattern such as we develop to try to avoid the pf pain can in time lead to knee, hip and even spinal and neck pain--truly it is not something to fool with, because these changes, even if they come about subtly over weeks or months can become entrenched and lead to further malalignments and progress over time. i am also not crazy about the full time orthotic wear in the summer (my feet are right now in high tops with the inserts), but i try to keep cool in other ways--there is a kind of headband that you put in the freezer that i saw someone in arizona wearing once that i am trying to find--i think that would be cool. anyway, what keeps me sticking with this is a little mental game i play with myself called 'me at 70.' i am only 36 now, but i know that the ultimate mobility of a person down the road depends on right now--if i let this progress too much, it could in thirty years mean the difference between being one of those pony-tailed gray-haired hiker-ladies you meet on the path or in a wheelchair or other more sedentary lifestyle. also, too much loss of strength and flexibility now and the risk of falls and broken hips, etc. dramatically increases with age. anyway, i am no saint and a while ago spent a month ignoring my orthotics (they were forgotten in an inconvenient part of the house--how's THAT for lazy??) and boy, did i pay big time. i was HOBBLING around like a 90 year old person. i was literally forced to get back into orthotic-wearing and have been getting better since. anyway, good luck to you all.

maryg on 7/13/99 at 00:00 (008679)

sorry i have not been on since posted last message, this is exactly what i am talking about, i do wear my orthodics all the time but the longer i am on my feet the worse the leg and hip pain is. my pod does seem to think this is related to my pf, i have not gone to regular doctor but i think i will to rule out any other problem. i will keep you informed.
thanks for writing back

maryg on 7/13/99 at 00:00 (008680)

your letter sounds like what my husband says to me, take care of this problem now or i be in a wheelchair later, and has gone as so far telling me to quit my nursing job. well i will keep you informed of my never ending pain.

Jill on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008740)

Curiously before I had pf I would get pain in my hip after driving home from work (45 - 60 min). I never really thought about it till after visiting my PT. When she examined me she noticed that my right hip was weak (same side as pf). I had never even mentioned or thought about my pain after driving. Anyway, she gave me excises to do to strengthen my hips. Just simple leg lifts. I wonder what came first the chicken or the pf. :-)

Wendy on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008578)

I don't know that PF can affect your legs and hips - but I do know that if you've changed the way you walk (from limping and trying to walk without causing pain) it will most likely cause pain in your legs, hips and back. I would suspect it's an unfortunate problem that goes along with foot pain.

Ann on 7/10/99 at 00:00 (008604)

I had surgery on my left foot in March. My foot seems to be better. I do still suffer with some pain but I truly believe it is getting better. My biggest problem is the pain in my left ankle and up to my hips in both my legs. I am sure it has something to do with compensating my walk. My doctor said that orthotics would help that. I got them but don't use them that often because the athletic shoes are so hot in the summer. I have been wearing a sandal type shoe with a good arch and toe molds that are comfortable. I am so stiff and my legs and hips hurt so bad when I get up from sitting for awhile or if I walk for awhile. Is this what you are experiencing? Have you talked to your doctor about this?

joan on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008646)

i have found that i get all sorts of strange little pains/stresses from not wearing my orthotics--most certainly a compensatory gait pattern such as we develop to try to avoid the pf pain can in time lead to knee, hip and even spinal and neck pain--truly it is not something to fool with, because these changes, even if they come about subtly over weeks or months can become entrenched and lead to further malalignments and progress over time. i am also not crazy about the full time orthotic wear in the summer (my feet are right now in high tops with the inserts), but i try to keep cool in other ways--there is a kind of headband that you put in the freezer that i saw someone in arizona wearing once that i am trying to find--i think that would be cool. anyway, what keeps me sticking with this is a little mental game i play with myself called 'me at 70.' i am only 36 now, but i know that the ultimate mobility of a person down the road depends on right now--if i let this progress too much, it could in thirty years mean the difference between being one of those pony-tailed gray-haired hiker-ladies you meet on the path or in a wheelchair or other more sedentary lifestyle. also, too much loss of strength and flexibility now and the risk of falls and broken hips, etc. dramatically increases with age. anyway, i am no saint and a while ago spent a month ignoring my orthotics (they were forgotten in an inconvenient part of the house--how's THAT for lazy??) and boy, did i pay big time. i was HOBBLING around like a 90 year old person. i was literally forced to get back into orthotic-wearing and have been getting better since. anyway, good luck to you all.

maryg on 7/13/99 at 00:00 (008679)

sorry i have not been on since posted last message, this is exactly what i am talking about, i do wear my orthodics all the time but the longer i am on my feet the worse the leg and hip pain is. my pod does seem to think this is related to my pf, i have not gone to regular doctor but i think i will to rule out any other problem. i will keep you informed.
thanks for writing back

maryg on 7/13/99 at 00:00 (008680)

your letter sounds like what my husband says to me, take care of this problem now or i be in a wheelchair later, and has gone as so far telling me to quit my nursing job. well i will keep you informed of my never ending pain.

Jill on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008740)

Curiously before I had pf I would get pain in my hip after driving home from work (45 - 60 min). I never really thought about it till after visiting my PT. When she examined me she noticed that my right hip was weak (same side as pf). I had never even mentioned or thought about my pain after driving. Anyway, she gave me excises to do to strengthen my hips. Just simple leg lifts. I wonder what came first the chicken or the pf. :-)