Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

iontophoresis

Posted by Phyl on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008570)

Had my first iontophoresis treatment today. Relief was only temporary, lasting only a few hours and was not a complete relief but made the pain bearable. I expected it to take the pain away. Anyone else have a similar experience. How many of these treatments are necessary? Cannot afford to do this indefinetely.

Re: iontophoresis

Bea on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008580)

I don't understand the term. What is it?

Phyl on 7/09/99 at 00:00 (008587)

Iontophoresis is the treatment like ultrasound except using ions to drive the medication into the affected are. A slight pin pricking sensation is felt during the treatment. I didn't feel that it helped any. Will probably have another treatment today.

Bea on 7/09/99 at 00:00 (008595)

It sounds like whatI am getting. I have had 2 treatments so far and my foiot feel better for about 10 minutes & then the same old thing. Doesn't seem worth the time but my P.T. has oterh things in mind so we'll see

Phyl on 7/09/99 at 00:00 (008597)

Today I had my second treatment. Helped for a short time. They also taped my foot. That also helped for a short time. Was supposed to wear the tape for 48 hrs. Could not stand the way it felt or the uneven way it was making me walk. Go back Tues for my 3rd Iontophoresis treatment. Treatment also makes my calf feel real stiff.

Laurie on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008627)

I have a round of 6 treatments. At the time I didn't realize it was helping but i do believe it did help after those treatments. Also learned about taping, etc. Sometimes the tape routine aggravated my foot due to the tightness, etc.. you'll learn kind of what works for you as far as that goes. The taping for me was important because it forced my toe to be level with my foot, besides taping up the arch area. Good luck to you Phyl. Remember to go easy on your foot, even if it starts to feel much much better.

Heal up,
Laurie

Sarah on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008663)

I had about 5 treatments, but the relief they brought was limited to a day or two at best. I didn't find them all that beneficail given the fact that I had to pay out of pocket for them. My insurance din't cover this treatment. Sarah

Bea on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008580)

I don't understand the term. What is it?

Phyl on 7/09/99 at 00:00 (008587)

Iontophoresis is the treatment like ultrasound except using ions to drive the medication into the affected are. A slight pin pricking sensation is felt during the treatment. I didn't feel that it helped any. Will probably have another treatment today.

Bea on 7/09/99 at 00:00 (008595)

It sounds like whatI am getting. I have had 2 treatments so far and my foiot feel better for about 10 minutes & then the same old thing. Doesn't seem worth the time but my P.T. has oterh things in mind so we'll see

Phyl on 7/09/99 at 00:00 (008597)

Today I had my second treatment. Helped for a short time. They also taped my foot. That also helped for a short time. Was supposed to wear the tape for 48 hrs. Could not stand the way it felt or the uneven way it was making me walk. Go back Tues for my 3rd Iontophoresis treatment. Treatment also makes my calf feel real stiff.

Laurie on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008627)

I have a round of 6 treatments. At the time I didn't realize it was helping but i do believe it did help after those treatments. Also learned about taping, etc. Sometimes the tape routine aggravated my foot due to the tightness, etc.. you'll learn kind of what works for you as far as that goes. The taping for me was important because it forced my toe to be level with my foot, besides taping up the arch area. Good luck to you Phyl. Remember to go easy on your foot, even if it starts to feel much much better.

Heal up,
Laurie

Sarah on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008663)

I had about 5 treatments, but the relief they brought was limited to a day or two at best. I didn't find them all that beneficail given the fact that I had to pay out of pocket for them. My insurance din't cover this treatment. Sarah