Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HEEL PAIN IN AN 11 YEAR OLD BOY

Posted by Linda on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008576)

My son is an extremely fit, normal weight and hight athlete running three times a week (grass and road) covering approx 3 - 5 miles and swimming 5 times (about 9 hours). He quite often stated that his heel (always the right one) was sore although he was not limping. Following a PE lesson at school where they are not allowed to wear trainers (my son wears Nike usually) but are supposed to wear what we in England call 'Daps' which are flat black plimpsolls with no support/cushioning, he has now bruised his heel to the extent that he cannot put the heel down on the floor without severe pain in both his heel and tendon.

That was two weeks ago and he has not placed the heel on the floor (but I do make him stretch the muscle). He has continued to swim but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help the heel/tendon repair. My son is the current National Champion Triathlete in his age group and wants to start training for the Championship later on this year but I am unsure if he will do irrepairable damage.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

PS - I have written to his school stating that if he cannot wear his trainers, he will no longer be partaking in Physical Education at school.

Re: HEEL PAIN IN AN 11 YEAR OLD BOY

Jane on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008581)

I think I'd find a doctor in your area with a good reputation and take him to see him/herr and get it checked out. You don't want to ruin his running career at such an early age. Good luck!

Sarah on 7/10/99 at 00:00 (008621)

Good for you for letting his school know about how you feel. I don't know about in England, but as a teacher in the U.S. I know that a doctor's note would be obeyed completely by the school due to liability laws ect... It seems a shame that he would have to give up PE altogether. How strange that you school would not want more supportive shoes for theri children's comfort and benefit?!? Good luck!

Jane on 7/08/99 at 00:00 (008581)

I think I'd find a doctor in your area with a good reputation and take him to see him/herr and get it checked out. You don't want to ruin his running career at such an early age. Good luck!

Sarah on 7/10/99 at 00:00 (008621)

Good for you for letting his school know about how you feel. I don't know about in England, but as a teacher in the U.S. I know that a doctor's note would be obeyed completely by the school due to liability laws ect... It seems a shame that he would have to give up PE altogether. How strange that you school would not want more supportive shoes for theri children's comfort and benefit?!? Good luck!