Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

x-ray

Posted by debra on 7/10/99 at 00:00 (008618)

I just had my foot x-rayed this week. I have a bone spur on my heel. Is this considered the same as PF? I am lost as to what to do. I will be seeing a podiatrist as soon as I am referred. I was doing step aerobics but have stopped for about 3 months now. I can't walk my dog without experiencing some pain afterward. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Re: x-ray

Sarah on 7/10/99 at 00:00 (008622)

Read Scott's 25 page document. In the beginning of the documnet Scott addresses this question. If I remember correctly, there is a bit of a difference, but doctor's have trouble distinguishing between the two because the symptoms are interchangeable. I have heel spurs on both feet and have also been diagnosed with PF. While the spur on my left foot is substantially larger, the right foot is bothered far more. My dr. says that is not uncommon. Read up and good luck!

Robin on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008628)

No, a heel spur is not the same thing as PF. Many people have heel spurs and do not have PF -- and do not have pain. I agree---read Scott's main document. It is the PF that's hurting you, not the spur.

Many people develop spurs because of PF, because of tears in the plantar fascia itself. The bone is trying to extend out to meet the tissue and 'reconnect.' It's the damaged tissue causing pain. Suggest you read Scott's document before a podiatrist examines you; it's a good background and will help you to speak knowledgeably with the doctor.

Sarah on 7/10/99 at 00:00 (008622)

Read Scott's 25 page document. In the beginning of the documnet Scott addresses this question. If I remember correctly, there is a bit of a difference, but doctor's have trouble distinguishing between the two because the symptoms are interchangeable. I have heel spurs on both feet and have also been diagnosed with PF. While the spur on my left foot is substantially larger, the right foot is bothered far more. My dr. says that is not uncommon. Read up and good luck!

Robin on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008628)

No, a heel spur is not the same thing as PF. Many people have heel spurs and do not have PF -- and do not have pain. I agree---read Scott's main document. It is the PF that's hurting you, not the spur.

Many people develop spurs because of PF, because of tears in the plantar fascia itself. The bone is trying to extend out to meet the tissue and 'reconnect.' It's the damaged tissue causing pain. Suggest you read Scott's document before a podiatrist examines you; it's a good background and will help you to speak knowledgeably with the doctor.