Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Barefoot on the beach

Posted by jayn on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008629)

I did a search in this message board on barefoot and see that it is definitely taboo! Next week we are going to the shore. What should I wear at the beach? I have always gone barefoot, but see that maybe I'll have to stop that. I have a high arch. Will regular water shoes give me enough support do you think?

I'm sorry if I'm asking newbie questions and you all have been thru this for years, it look like, but I would love to talk with someone who's been there.

Jayn

Re: Barefoot on the beach

Wendy on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008630)

Be very careful on the beach...that is where I hurt the most, but went anyway. I wore my NB sneakers over the sand and water shoes in water, the first day. Hurt so bad that the next day I wore the sneakers in the water, which is okay if you have an extra pair. Beach walking on sand is probably the very worst kind of walking for PF sufferers.

Robin on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008637)

I live 4 miles from the Gulf of Mexico -- used to walk 3 or 4 miles on the beach every other day, barefoot of course. Now, I'm lucky to walkfrom the condo to the car.

Yes, wear athletic shoes with arch supports on the sand all the time. I don't think water shoes have any support at all, I think they are just flimsy little pieces of fabric. I have found some rubber sandals at Kmart that actually have some arch support but they are tough to swim in, okay if you are just going to fool around in the water though. Try Wal Mart or K-Mart for waterproof poolside shoes.

Lee on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008655)

I didn't know about not walking in sand. My heel spur was about 99% healed. Then I spent 5 days on the river. I couldn't figure out why my foot hurt so bad when I had been relaxing so much . About the 3rd day I realized the walk from my beach chair to the river was stretching my foot. It took me about 2 weeks to get my foot back to 99%.
Be very careful, it didn't take much walking in the sand to screw up my foot.

Wendy on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008630)

Be very careful on the beach...that is where I hurt the most, but went anyway. I wore my NB sneakers over the sand and water shoes in water, the first day. Hurt so bad that the next day I wore the sneakers in the water, which is okay if you have an extra pair. Beach walking on sand is probably the very worst kind of walking for PF sufferers.

Robin on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008637)

I live 4 miles from the Gulf of Mexico -- used to walk 3 or 4 miles on the beach every other day, barefoot of course. Now, I'm lucky to walkfrom the condo to the car.

Yes, wear athletic shoes with arch supports on the sand all the time. I don't think water shoes have any support at all, I think they are just flimsy little pieces of fabric. I have found some rubber sandals at Kmart that actually have some arch support but they are tough to swim in, okay if you are just going to fool around in the water though. Try Wal Mart or K-Mart for waterproof poolside shoes.

Lee on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008655)

I didn't know about not walking in sand. My heel spur was about 99% healed. Then I spent 5 days on the river. I couldn't figure out why my foot hurt so bad when I had been relaxing so much . About the 3rd day I realized the walk from my beach chair to the river was stretching my foot. It took me about 2 weeks to get my foot back to 99%.
Be very careful, it didn't take much walking in the sand to screw up my foot.