Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Birks, orthotics, chiropractic care?

Posted by Robin on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008638)

Your experience with orthotics and Birks is interesting. I have been in Birks for 7 months now and have seen definite improvement -- maybe about 40 or 50%.

The podiatrist I went to wanted to make orthotics for me right away. I decided to try Birks first. NOW I am thinking about having orthotics make, since my feet are somewhat better. However, I am also thinking that I may see a chiropractor first and try to improve my feet as much as possible before making the casts.

For the life of me, I don't really understand how they can make molds of feet which are clearly damaged and improperly balanced -- and make orthotics from them and for them. I just don't see how they can build in THAT much correction from a cast of damaged feet. Anyway, I have finally located a chiropractor who already has 4 or 5 patients with PF, so I may try her.

If anyone else has particular experience with Birks, OTC supports, or chiro or PT care of the feet as a prelude to orthotics -- would you post your experiences?

Judy on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008643)

I have been off and on this message board for the last couple of months. I began with pain on and off over the last year and up until 3 mos. ago it would go away....that was until I took step arobics. I am now in constant pain , have had 2 cort. shots since the end of May. I ice, stretch and never walk bare-foot. I bought a pair of Birks 3 wks. ago and they appear to help me on some days. Its wierd because sometimes they feel so good and other days I can't stand them on. Anyway, I have bought every over the counter support out there ...DynStep, Spenco ( I hated them), heel cups, pads, you name it...I bought it. I have been looking all over for New Balance 850's but there isn't a store around me that carries them and every place I mail order them, they call me back with 24 hrs. to tell me they will not have them in until Sept. 1. I went out yesterday and bought New Balance 606 Cross Trainers. They hurt my feet! They offer better support than my other sneakers (Easy Spirts..bought in May) but I have to take them off after a few hours...then my Birks go on for a few hours...then I put the sneakers in with a insert for a few hours....well you get the picture. I am at the point where I don't know what else to do. Oh yes, I even bought the large size Glucosimine Sulphate at Vitamin World. Hopefully that will kick in soon. Anyway, I have just made an appt. with my Pod. and am going in on Friday to get fitted for ortho's. I am not too confident that these will help as several people have said they have 2 or 3 that are sitting on a shelf. I have to try...maybe these will be the answer for me. You asked to report any experiences before the ortho's ...well mine have all been negative. Will let you know how the ortho's work. At least I didn't rush out and get them before trying anything else, right? I have found this message board to be a god-send. Thanks to all who report information....I think just because we all suffer from the same thing and pool all the information on what 'may' work and what 'may not' is a huge help to anyone who reads this. I know it's helped me....

Judy on 7/11/99 at 00:00 (008643)

I have been off and on this message board for the last couple of months. I began with pain on and off over the last year and up until 3 mos. ago it would go away....that was until I took step arobics. I am now in constant pain , have had 2 cort. shots since the end of May. I ice, stretch and never walk bare-foot. I bought a pair of Birks 3 wks. ago and they appear to help me on some days. Its wierd because sometimes they feel so good and other days I can't stand them on. Anyway, I have bought every over the counter support out there ...DynStep, Spenco ( I hated them), heel cups, pads, you name it...I bought it. I have been looking all over for New Balance 850's but there isn't a store around me that carries them and every place I mail order them, they call me back with 24 hrs. to tell me they will not have them in until Sept. 1. I went out yesterday and bought New Balance 606 Cross Trainers. They hurt my feet! They offer better support than my other sneakers (Easy Spirts..bought in May) but I have to take them off after a few hours...then my Birks go on for a few hours...then I put the sneakers in with a insert for a few hours....well you get the picture. I am at the point where I don't know what else to do. Oh yes, I even bought the large size Glucosimine Sulphate at Vitamin World. Hopefully that will kick in soon. Anyway, I have just made an appt. with my Pod. and am going in on Friday to get fitted for ortho's. I am not too confident that these will help as several people have said they have 2 or 3 that are sitting on a shelf. I have to try...maybe these will be the answer for me. You asked to report any experiences before the ortho's ...well mine have all been negative. Will let you know how the ortho's work. At least I didn't rush out and get them before trying anything else, right? I have found this message board to be a god-send. Thanks to all who report information....I think just because we all suffer from the same thing and pool all the information on what 'may' work and what 'may not' is a huge help to anyone who reads this. I know it's helped me....