Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Atkins Diet = relief ???

Posted by Lee on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008657)

I read in Scotts pages about losing weight fast with Atkins Diet.
I had been on it before and lost weight so I know it works for me.
But a few weeks back someone posted that they got relief from no sugar. So I gave it a try. By the second day I noticed a difference in the pain in my foot. (heel spur) I hope its not my imagination but it does seem to feel alot better. Most of the pain was gone with the use of the piroxicam cream for 2 weeks. But the diet seems like it's taking care of the last of the pain. I hope!. Time will tell I guess. The worst thing that could happen is I lose weight and that will help my foot too !

Re: Atkins Diet = relief ???

Larry A on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008658)

Where can I get this piroxicam cream

jayn on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008660)

White sugar is like poison. The less you eat of it the better off you will be in every way. I know that for a fact, but it's hard to break free from it.

Re: Atkins Diet = relief ??? Larry & Jayn

Sarah on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008662)

Larry, go back a few pages into this message board and there are multiple conversations about this cream. While I don't use it, I know that it is given by perscription and you have to go to a special pharmacy called a compounding pharmacy which mixes it special for you. The generic name is feldene. This cream is also available in oral tablet form but for obvious reasons most people seem to be happy with the cream form.

Jayn, this may be a stupid question, but why do you think white sugar is poison? I know the obvious about too much hurting your insulin levels and causing diabetes and I also know from biology classes in college that anthropologists noticed a dramatic change in the quality of human teeth when refined sugar intake increased in humans. Evidently prior to this the incidence of cavaties was much less. Wouldn't you rather put white sugar in your iced tea (herbal of course) than nutrasweet? I know I should drink it unsweetend, but I just like a little sweetnes to it. Give me the scoop. Sarah

Roberta on 7/13/99 at 00:00 (008684)

I agree sugar is poison, and I would probably say the same goes for white flour. The problem is that someone has taken perfectly good food and stripped every single nutrient out of it, you are then eating something that your body (in an evolutionary sense) has never dealt with before. I have a cousin who has done lots of studying on this, and she says most humans bodies are in a state a shock starting at around 2 years old.

Many scientists will completely disregard what I have said above. Their theory is that all carbos are the same (we're talking chemical composition) so it doesnt matter. They also argue that nutra sweet is fine because it is the same composition as a certain amino acid. The problem is your body is getting these things in a form that they would never occur in nature. (I would guess that nutra sweet is worse than sugar). Try raw honey or maple syrup if you need a sweetener. Or get used to eating things not super sweet.

Try to eat things in their natural state as much as possible.

Rosalind on 7/13/99 at 00:00 (008689)

Try stevia. It's a South American plant that is naturally sweet. I use the extract. A few drops go a long way.

It supposedly is safe for diabetics and helps stabilize blood sugar levels.

Larry A on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008658)

Where can I get this piroxicam cream

jayn on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008660)

White sugar is like poison. The less you eat of it the better off you will be in every way. I know that for a fact, but it's hard to break free from it.

Sarah on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008662)

Larry, go back a few pages into this message board and there are multiple conversations about this cream. While I don't use it, I know that it is given by perscription and you have to go to a special pharmacy called a compounding pharmacy which mixes it special for you. The generic name is feldene. This cream is also available in oral tablet form but for obvious reasons most people seem to be happy with the cream form.

Jayn, this may be a stupid question, but why do you think white sugar is poison? I know the obvious about too much hurting your insulin levels and causing diabetes and I also know from biology classes in college that anthropologists noticed a dramatic change in the quality of human teeth when refined sugar intake increased in humans. Evidently prior to this the incidence of cavaties was much less. Wouldn't you rather put white sugar in your iced tea (herbal of course) than nutrasweet? I know I should drink it unsweetend, but I just like a little sweetnes to it. Give me the scoop. Sarah

Roberta on 7/13/99 at 00:00 (008684)

I agree sugar is poison, and I would probably say the same goes for white flour. The problem is that someone has taken perfectly good food and stripped every single nutrient out of it, you are then eating something that your body (in an evolutionary sense) has never dealt with before. I have a cousin who has done lots of studying on this, and she says most humans bodies are in a state a shock starting at around 2 years old.

Many scientists will completely disregard what I have said above. Their theory is that all carbos are the same (we're talking chemical composition) so it doesnt matter. They also argue that nutra sweet is fine because it is the same composition as a certain amino acid. The problem is your body is getting these things in a form that they would never occur in nature. (I would guess that nutra sweet is worse than sugar). Try raw honey or maple syrup if you need a sweetener. Or get used to eating things not super sweet.

Try to eat things in their natural state as much as possible.

Rosalind on 7/13/99 at 00:00 (008689)

Try stevia. It's a South American plant that is naturally sweet. I use the extract. A few drops go a long way.

It supposedly is safe for diabetics and helps stabilize blood sugar levels.