Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Not a happy camper

Posted by Mollie on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008672)

I have been diagnosed with plantar faciitus and heel spurs for about 2 months now and have not noticed any change. I have had 2 sets of injections, wear night splints, have taken anti-inflammatory meds, do exercises, wear inserts and am ready to lose my mind. I had been very active up until my diagnosis.. Tae Bo was my complete downfall and I really regret my stupidity. I used to do step aerobics and walk 2 miles a day and now I feel like such a slug. How do you stay up for all this crap??? From what I am reading, this could last for an indefinite period. Just how can active people accept this??? Surgery is not a guarantee. I need some POSITIVE reinforcement!!! Mollie

Re: Not a happy camper

suzi on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008673)

Mollie, I too used to be very active and now I just do deep water aqua aerobics wearing an aqua jogger around my waist and I get an amazing workout! It lets me stay active without hurting myself and it keeps me slim!!! Give it a try, but don't do it in the shallow end where you pound your feet, deep end only!!!
suzi

Jane on 7/14/99 at 00:00 (008700)

Suzi, You mentioned that you use an Aqua Jogger. What is this? Swimming is the only aerobic exercise that I have been able to do and the Aqua Jogger sounds like something I could add to my routine. You said you do deep water aqua aerobics. Do you go to a class for this or do you follow a program that you found? And if so can you tell me where I can get a copy of it? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. thanks Jane

Sally on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008723)

There's a big article in the health section of our local paper (Arizona Republic) today about various water exercises. Lots of info about the AquaJogger, etc. Many different types of equipment are listed, i.e., buoyancy belt, cuffs, mitts, barbells, noodles, weighted booties, etc. I wouldn't mind mailing or faxing it to you if you're interested. It might be possible to request it directly from the paper as well.

Beth on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008730)

Mollie,

Why do you feel Tae Bo was your downfall?

Beth

Jill on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008738)

Hi Molly, I'm am just like you. The Tae Bo got me. I really had no idea that this could happen. I was really getting into shape; losing lots of weight. My arms were even getting that cut look. I'm still a new comer here it has only been about a month or two for me too. I know it's hard after first reading stories about this lasting years but I think being positve is the only way to beet this. I am convinced I am going to go back to Tae Bo. I really loved it. In the meantime though I guess I'll just have to learn to like to swim. Right?

It is just not the same as Punching & Kicking though.

Jill on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008739)

Sorry Mollie not Molly, Also the great thing about this site is that I got instant respect for my feet. I stoped going barefoot and started taking exercises much more seriously right after reading a couple of messages.

suzi on 7/12/99 at 00:00 (008673)

Mollie, I too used to be very active and now I just do deep water aqua aerobics wearing an aqua jogger around my waist and I get an amazing workout! It lets me stay active without hurting myself and it keeps me slim!!! Give it a try, but don't do it in the shallow end where you pound your feet, deep end only!!!
suzi

Jane on 7/14/99 at 00:00 (008700)

Suzi, You mentioned that you use an Aqua Jogger. What is this? Swimming is the only aerobic exercise that I have been able to do and the Aqua Jogger sounds like something I could add to my routine. You said you do deep water aqua aerobics. Do you go to a class for this or do you follow a program that you found? And if so can you tell me where I can get a copy of it? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. thanks Jane

Sally on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008723)

There's a big article in the health section of our local paper (Arizona Republic) today about various water exercises. Lots of info about the AquaJogger, etc. Many different types of equipment are listed, i.e., buoyancy belt, cuffs, mitts, barbells, noodles, weighted booties, etc. I wouldn't mind mailing or faxing it to you if you're interested. It might be possible to request it directly from the paper as well.

Beth on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008730)

Mollie,

Why do you feel Tae Bo was your downfall?

Beth

Jill on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008738)

Hi Molly, I'm am just like you. The Tae Bo got me. I really had no idea that this could happen. I was really getting into shape; losing lots of weight. My arms were even getting that cut look. I'm still a new comer here it has only been about a month or two for me too. I know it's hard after first reading stories about this lasting years but I think being positve is the only way to beet this. I am convinced I am going to go back to Tae Bo. I really loved it. In the meantime though I guess I'll just have to learn to like to swim. Right?

It is just not the same as Punching & Kicking though.

Jill on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008739)

Sorry Mollie not Molly, Also the great thing about this site is that I got instant respect for my feet. I stoped going barefoot and started taking exercises much more seriously right after reading a couple of messages.