Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock's

Posted by Jean on 7/13/99 at 00:00 (008687)

I finally gathered enough courage and money to purchase my first pair of Birk's, and went to a shoe store specializing in Birkenstock's and other brands. I was disappointed,as the Birk's and my feet were not compatible..the Birk's went in one direction and my toes went in the other, no matter what size or style I tried on. I ended up buying a pair of Wolky sandals and have worn them for four days, and so far, they feel wonderful. If anybody else has had problems similiar to mine, you might try the Wolky's.

Re: Birkenstock's

Lee on 7/14/99 at 00:00 (008694)

I had a similar problem with Birks, they made my foot feel like my heel was slanted backwards. They didn't feel good at all. I bought Mephistos because the salesman told me people swear by them for helping heel spurs. The arch is high and they take some getting used too. But I'm on my second pair and they seem to help. At least it's a sandal intead of my sneakers with orthodics.

Sue on 7/14/99 at 00:00 (008702)

I had the same experience with Birk sandals- in my case it sent pain all the way up my back. I had heard great things about Wolkys. They are made in the Netherlands. I was there in May and bought three pairs of Wolkys. Two were sandals and a pair of clogs. I also bought a pair of Mephisto mules (kind of a lower clog) I think the Wolkys are a supportive walking sandal but I had hoped they would have helped more. The Mephistos are much better maybe because they have a slightly higher heel. Unfortunately the Wolky clogs were uncomfortable.

BarbJ on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008720)

I have the same problem with Birks and found Mephisto mules with about a 1 inch heel to do the trick for me as far as sandals go. Very expensive, though--big drawback!

Sally on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008721)

Our experiences with shoes shows just how different each person's foot problem can be. I cancelled a cruise last month because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do all the walking and standing required. After reading about Birkenstocks here, and after purchasing a pair and wearing them for three weeks, the cruise is back on and I'm ready to go!

Shelby on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008758)

I wasn't able to wear Birkenstocks at all. Terrible pain. I have been Wearing Dansko for about 2 months now. (Wedge heel) So far so good. I can't wear a flat shoe at all. Can't wear Sneakers with orthodic without pain.

Re: Birkenstock's - What style?

Jane on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (008996)

I keep reading about Birk's and wonder what style of them you all are referring to; also, are they available in most department stores to try on first?

John on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009056)

also take a look at Ecco shoes and sandals at (www.ecco.com).

Lee on 7/14/99 at 00:00 (008694)

I had a similar problem with Birks, they made my foot feel like my heel was slanted backwards. They didn't feel good at all. I bought Mephistos because the salesman told me people swear by them for helping heel spurs. The arch is high and they take some getting used too. But I'm on my second pair and they seem to help. At least it's a sandal intead of my sneakers with orthodics.

Sue on 7/14/99 at 00:00 (008702)

I had the same experience with Birk sandals- in my case it sent pain all the way up my back. I had heard great things about Wolkys. They are made in the Netherlands. I was there in May and bought three pairs of Wolkys. Two were sandals and a pair of clogs. I also bought a pair of Mephisto mules (kind of a lower clog) I think the Wolkys are a supportive walking sandal but I had hoped they would have helped more. The Mephistos are much better maybe because they have a slightly higher heel. Unfortunately the Wolky clogs were uncomfortable.

BarbJ on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008720)

I have the same problem with Birks and found Mephisto mules with about a 1 inch heel to do the trick for me as far as sandals go. Very expensive, though--big drawback!

Sally on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008721)

Our experiences with shoes shows just how different each person's foot problem can be. I cancelled a cruise last month because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do all the walking and standing required. After reading about Birkenstocks here, and after purchasing a pair and wearing them for three weeks, the cruise is back on and I'm ready to go!

Shelby on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008758)

I wasn't able to wear Birkenstocks at all. Terrible pain. I have been Wearing Dansko for about 2 months now. (Wedge heel) So far so good. I can't wear a flat shoe at all. Can't wear Sneakers with orthodic without pain.

Jane on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (008996)

I keep reading about Birk's and wonder what style of them you all are referring to; also, are they available in most department stores to try on first?

John on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009056)

also take a look at Ecco shoes and sandals at (www.ecco.com).