Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Orthotics

Posted by Judy E on 7/15/99 at 00:00 (008736)

Just received my first pair of orthotics. They are the 'multi-purpose' type. I'm not too sure they are going to work for me. I have only had them two days and can;t wear longer than 1 to 1 1/2 hrs at a time, but the toe section isn't there. I was told to use the insole of my athletic shoe, cut the toe section out and use that to fill in the space.

I find my shoes are too loose using just the orthotics, and too tight when I use my otc 'spenco-type' in addition to orthotics. HELP!! Spent too much $$$$ to just throw in trash?!

Re: New Orthotics

Sue on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008745)

I was fitted with custom orthotics several months ago. What a waste.
Mine were 3/4 length also. They were so thick that my toes couldn't touch the bottom of my shoes. I took them back and the podiatrist jury-rigged a layer of blue Spenco material on the whole length to ease the transition. I also have tremendous back pain with them.

Michelle on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008746)

I got Orthotics in April and the breaking in period was long and painful, but very worth it. I was to told to wear them for 1 hour the first day than increase the time by 1 hour each day and that the time included when I was sitting down. They were very painful for the first 3 weeks, but now I don't have any problems. Hang in there and give them a chance to work. Good Luck!!

Laura on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008748)

Go back to your Orthotist and have him adjust them. Then slowly increase the time you wear them. Also, you might want to buy some double thickness Dr. Scholl's cushion insoles and lay them ON TOP of your orthotic. This will give you more cushioning and fill in some of the space. Hang in there...mine were very painful at first, too, then I got mine readjusted. There's still pain, but with my NB shoes and Dr. Scholls, I know it will get better, and it does...every day a little less pain. Good luck!

Lee on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008751)

My first pair of orthodics cost 600.00 (I didn't know any better and was desperate) They never felt comfortable, and I tried for weeks. I couldn't wear them for 10 minutes. I asked the Dr. repeatedly to do something, he just kept telling me I would have to get used to them.
Then my husband was referred to a nother Pod. by a physical therapist.(work injury) He was fitted with a pair of orthodics and never had a problem since. He never had any adjustment time, he said they felt fine from day one. I switched to his Pod. he told me my 600. orthodics were completely wrong and he made new ones, $300.00 I knew with the first exam this DR. knew more about making the orthodics. It only took about a week to get used to them and that was mostly because of the higher arch and finding the right shoes. My pain went away for 8 months. Unfortunately I got a heel spur and I've spent the last 9 months trying to get rid of it. I'm about 99% healed, and I always wear the orthodics the second Dr. made for me. I wish I had demanded my money back from the 1st Dr.

Bea on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008753)

12 years ago I was fitted with orthotics. At the time I had terrible leg pain as well as a heel spur. The orthotics were hard plastic and made from a mold of my foot. After about 6 months the pain was gone along with the pain from the heel spur. I went 11 years with no pain. Now I have heel spur as well as torn achilles tendon and bursitus. I was told the orthotics I had were old fashioned and I needed soft ones which I had made and found unwearable. What I can't comprehend the hard orthotics worked for 11 years but now they are old fashioned? I have other problems now but feel that orthotics should not be painful. My hard ones were great from the beginning. Just my opin ion.

Judy on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008757)

Just a quick question....do you remove your insoles when you wear you orthotic along with the Dr. Scholls or do you leave that in also? and what kind of New Balance sneaker do you wear? I just bought the N.B. 606 and they don't feel all that great so I was wondering if I should remove the insole or not. Just went today to have my orthotics made up..will get in 2wks. so I am curious about the insoles..maybe with them removed they will feel better...thanks.

Judy E on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008759)

Thanks so much for the input! I have worked out a system with one pair of Ryka runners. I took an old pair of Spencos and cut the toe section to fit under the orthotics. Seemed to work pretty well today, - until I realized I my thigh and ankle were hurting and noticed that I had had them in for about four hours.....

I switched to my Mephisto sandles and am icing as I 'surf'...

Thanks again!

Sue on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008763)

When I removed the insole from my NB586 running shoes to accomodate the orthotics there was nothing left of the footbed. It felt like walking on the ground. I tried to rig up Spenco material to replace what was removed. Actually it didn't matter because the orthotics caused great pain and discomfort so I never really used them.

Judy on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008780)

I was told by a shoe salesman for New Balance that the 'good' that the sneaker does to your foot is located in the sneaker itself and NOT the insole. As you probably already know, there is NOTHING to the insoles when you remove them so you should still be getting lots of good support from you sneakers minus the insole. Have you tried Dr.Scholls insoles on top of your new orthotics? Might feel better and not like you are walking on the ground. I talk like I know from experience but my new $300.00 othro's won't be in for 2 more wks and I'm hoping all the infor. I am giving you now I'll be able to take myself in 2 more wks........

Laura on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008790)

Judy,
I bought New Balance 652's because I am a severe over-pronator. I did try to wear them with the insoles, then I removed them, put my orthotic in, then the Dr Scholl's on top. My Orthotist had advised me to remove the insoles and that was actually much more comfortable. Also, it might help to wear some very cushioned socks. The Foot Locker shoe salesman, who was so wonderfully helpful in fitting the shoes, sold me an expensive pair of socks. They were $9, (I know...incredibly high price for a pair of SOCKS!!!), but they were so cushioned they were wonderful. I don't think I'll get more, but just a suggestions. The point of all this is provide as much support and as much cushioning as you can to your heel.
Good luck! Laura

Sue on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008829)

Lee Were the orthodics you had soft or hard? I've tried both without any long term success.

Lee on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008838)

My orthodics are a hard white plastic with a thin vinyl or leather covering glued on to it. They are very comfortable. Whats uncomfortable is when I don't have them in my shoes. My husbands are the same. My first pair of orthodics were also white plastic, no covering. I could not wear them for 10 minutes, they hurt worse that the pain from pf. The orthodics can be adjusted, keep working with your Dr. he can lower or raise the arch as needed. Even the littlest bump on the orthodic can feel like theres a rock in your shoe.
I hope this info helps.

Sue on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008745)

I was fitted with custom orthotics several months ago. What a waste.
Mine were 3/4 length also. They were so thick that my toes couldn't touch the bottom of my shoes. I took them back and the podiatrist jury-rigged a layer of blue Spenco material on the whole length to ease the transition. I also have tremendous back pain with them.

Michelle on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008746)

I got Orthotics in April and the breaking in period was long and painful, but very worth it. I was to told to wear them for 1 hour the first day than increase the time by 1 hour each day and that the time included when I was sitting down. They were very painful for the first 3 weeks, but now I don't have any problems. Hang in there and give them a chance to work. Good Luck!!

Laura on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008748)

Go back to your Orthotist and have him adjust them. Then slowly increase the time you wear them. Also, you might want to buy some double thickness Dr. Scholl's cushion insoles and lay them ON TOP of your orthotic. This will give you more cushioning and fill in some of the space. Hang in there...mine were very painful at first, too, then I got mine readjusted. There's still pain, but with my NB shoes and Dr. Scholls, I know it will get better, and it does...every day a little less pain. Good luck!

Lee on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008751)

My first pair of orthodics cost 600.00 (I didn't know any better and was desperate) They never felt comfortable, and I tried for weeks. I couldn't wear them for 10 minutes. I asked the Dr. repeatedly to do something, he just kept telling me I would have to get used to them.
Then my husband was referred to a nother Pod. by a physical therapist.(work injury) He was fitted with a pair of orthodics and never had a problem since. He never had any adjustment time, he said they felt fine from day one. I switched to his Pod. he told me my 600. orthodics were completely wrong and he made new ones, $300.00 I knew with the first exam this DR. knew more about making the orthodics. It only took about a week to get used to them and that was mostly because of the higher arch and finding the right shoes. My pain went away for 8 months. Unfortunately I got a heel spur and I've spent the last 9 months trying to get rid of it. I'm about 99% healed, and I always wear the orthodics the second Dr. made for me. I wish I had demanded my money back from the 1st Dr.

Bea on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008753)

12 years ago I was fitted with orthotics. At the time I had terrible leg pain as well as a heel spur. The orthotics were hard plastic and made from a mold of my foot. After about 6 months the pain was gone along with the pain from the heel spur. I went 11 years with no pain. Now I have heel spur as well as torn achilles tendon and bursitus. I was told the orthotics I had were old fashioned and I needed soft ones which I had made and found unwearable. What I can't comprehend the hard orthotics worked for 11 years but now they are old fashioned? I have other problems now but feel that orthotics should not be painful. My hard ones were great from the beginning. Just my opin ion.

Judy on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008757)

Just a quick question....do you remove your insoles when you wear you orthotic along with the Dr. Scholls or do you leave that in also? and what kind of New Balance sneaker do you wear? I just bought the N.B. 606 and they don't feel all that great so I was wondering if I should remove the insole or not. Just went today to have my orthotics made up..will get in 2wks. so I am curious about the insoles..maybe with them removed they will feel better...thanks.

Judy E on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008759)

Thanks so much for the input! I have worked out a system with one pair of Ryka runners. I took an old pair of Spencos and cut the toe section to fit under the orthotics. Seemed to work pretty well today, - until I realized I my thigh and ankle were hurting and noticed that I had had them in for about four hours.....

I switched to my Mephisto sandles and am icing as I 'surf'...

Thanks again!

Sue on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008763)

When I removed the insole from my NB586 running shoes to accomodate the orthotics there was nothing left of the footbed. It felt like walking on the ground. I tried to rig up Spenco material to replace what was removed. Actually it didn't matter because the orthotics caused great pain and discomfort so I never really used them.

Judy on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008780)

I was told by a shoe salesman for New Balance that the 'good' that the sneaker does to your foot is located in the sneaker itself and NOT the insole. As you probably already know, there is NOTHING to the insoles when you remove them so you should still be getting lots of good support from you sneakers minus the insole. Have you tried Dr.Scholls insoles on top of your new orthotics? Might feel better and not like you are walking on the ground. I talk like I know from experience but my new $300.00 othro's won't be in for 2 more wks and I'm hoping all the infor. I am giving you now I'll be able to take myself in 2 more wks........

Laura on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008790)

Judy,
I bought New Balance 652's because I am a severe over-pronator. I did try to wear them with the insoles, then I removed them, put my orthotic in, then the Dr Scholl's on top. My Orthotist had advised me to remove the insoles and that was actually much more comfortable. Also, it might help to wear some very cushioned socks. The Foot Locker shoe salesman, who was so wonderfully helpful in fitting the shoes, sold me an expensive pair of socks. They were $9, (I know...incredibly high price for a pair of SOCKS!!!), but they were so cushioned they were wonderful. I don't think I'll get more, but just a suggestions. The point of all this is provide as much support and as much cushioning as you can to your heel.
Good luck! Laura

Sue on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008829)

Lee Were the orthodics you had soft or hard? I've tried both without any long term success.

Lee on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008838)

My orthodics are a hard white plastic with a thin vinyl or leather covering glued on to it. They are very comfortable. Whats uncomfortable is when I don't have them in my shoes. My husbands are the same. My first pair of orthodics were also white plastic, no covering. I could not wear them for 10 minutes, they hurt worse that the pain from pf. The orthodics can be adjusted, keep working with your Dr. he can lower or raise the arch as needed. Even the littlest bump on the orthodic can feel like theres a rock in your shoe.
I hope this info helps.