Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Did anyone but me get PF as a result of a traumatic injury?

Posted by jill on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008755)

I got PF after I broke my foot. It took a very long time for the bone to heel (6 months) and as soon as I started to walk without a cast, I developed PF which I have now had for almost a year. My orthopedist attributed the PF to weakness in my foot and calf muscles. I was wondering whether anybody else had a similar situation. I'm finally feeling a lot better (after 6 months of PT and a great personal trainer). However, I still have lots of nagging pain.

Re: Did anyone but me get PF as a result of a traumatic injury?

joan on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008756)

yes jill- i sure did--i was running in february and then switched into cold cleats for soccer practice and while running my cleat must have dug into the ground and held while my foot sheared the other way and i actually felt the plantar fascia tearing. this has turned into a long term odyssey, as the heel pad has atrophied and the fascia has been re-injured a few times. i finally started to do the right things as elaborated on these message boards and am slowly getting better. however, a contracture/scar tissue, once acquired, is very hard, if not next to impossible to get rid of. scar tissue by its very nature is stronger than the structures that tore (as is also the case with a healed bone fracture--a 'callous' of thicked bone forms around the break site making that area stronger than before). for this reason, i am investigating the ossatron procedure as it is purported to actually break up the scar tissue, which, in theory at least, makes the best sense to me toward achieving a mostly complete resolution to pf. i want to say however that this is truly only my opinion at this point as i have not done full research on it and am by no means an expert. good luck to you.

Judy E on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008760)

I fractured and dislocated my ankle about ten years ago. I had surgery to have a plate and screws on the broken ankle. In a cast for close to 10 weeks and hobbling around with crutches and a cane for another four months. No physical therapy... (_I think I should have had pt).

Even though this happened 10 years ago and I only started having PF problems about 8 months ago, I think the 'mechanics' of my body were changed and it took weight gain, age etc. to finally 'tip the scale'.

Beth on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008765)

Jill,

About 16 years ago I broke my right ankle in a car accident. My right foot has the PF in it and also feels like it burns a lot. My old injury coupled with an increase in intenseity in my exercise program is probably what gave me the PF. I do have less flexability in my right foot (from the accident) which may have something to do with getting PF. I'm finding that lots of calf stretches throughout the day are really beneficial. Beth

joan on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008756)

yes jill- i sure did--i was running in february and then switched into cold cleats for soccer practice and while running my cleat must have dug into the ground and held while my foot sheared the other way and i actually felt the plantar fascia tearing. this has turned into a long term odyssey, as the heel pad has atrophied and the fascia has been re-injured a few times. i finally started to do the right things as elaborated on these message boards and am slowly getting better. however, a contracture/scar tissue, once acquired, is very hard, if not next to impossible to get rid of. scar tissue by its very nature is stronger than the structures that tore (as is also the case with a healed bone fracture--a 'callous' of thicked bone forms around the break site making that area stronger than before). for this reason, i am investigating the ossatron procedure as it is purported to actually break up the scar tissue, which, in theory at least, makes the best sense to me toward achieving a mostly complete resolution to pf. i want to say however that this is truly only my opinion at this point as i have not done full research on it and am by no means an expert. good luck to you.

Judy E on 7/16/99 at 00:00 (008760)

I fractured and dislocated my ankle about ten years ago. I had surgery to have a plate and screws on the broken ankle. In a cast for close to 10 weeks and hobbling around with crutches and a cane for another four months. No physical therapy... (_I think I should have had pt).

Even though this happened 10 years ago and I only started having PF problems about 8 months ago, I think the 'mechanics' of my body were changed and it took weight gain, age etc. to finally 'tip the scale'.

Beth on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008765)

Jill,

About 16 years ago I broke my right ankle in a car accident. My right foot has the PF in it and also feels like it burns a lot. My old injury coupled with an increase in intenseity in my exercise program is probably what gave me the PF. I do have less flexability in my right foot (from the accident) which may have something to do with getting PF. I'm finding that lots of calf stretches throughout the day are really beneficial. Beth